Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water in Bottom of Kettle

Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
ryandlf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Water in Bottom of Kettle

Just got my new 10 gallon kettles and this is going to be my first brew. I've got what you might a call a true brew system now using pumps so I don't have to lift and pour any more. I notice that a gallon of water sits at the bottom of the kettle (because it is what's below the ball valve). How does everyone account for this water? When I pump over to the mash tun do I have to use an extra 2 gallons on top of what I need overall to account for the gallon left in the boil kettle and the gallon left in the mash tun? Should I not account for it at all and just tip the kettle and get as much out as I can? I'm assuming most people using 20 or 30 gallon kettles aren't tipping the kettle to drain every last drop. I hope this makes sense...

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Reason: Misspelled Title

Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 493 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Sounds like you need a diptube to get all your water out of the kettles. Yes, you need to account for the water in your 'dead space'. I heat extra water and use a sight glass to determine the amount of water I'm moving around. That way I don't really need to worry about what's left over in my HLT.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6204 Times on 4418 Posts
Likes Given: 1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Sounds like you need a diptube to get all your water out of the kettles. Yes, you need to account for the water in your 'dead space'. I heat extra water and use a sight glass to determine the amount of water I'm moving around. That way I don't really need to worry about what's left over in my HLT.
I have a bottom draining HLT now, but before that I had a "regular" HLT with a diptube. A diptube will get out almost all of the water.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok...maybe for now I will just tip the kettle until I can get a dip tube. Thanks guys, I knew it was an easy answer.

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA