Chest Freezer to Keezer Conversion: MikeE's DIY build - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Chest Freezer to Keezer Conversion: MikeE's DIY build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #41
VaBrewer
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
VaBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Manassas, VA
Posts: 316
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Sweet! I like the fan setup, that's one thing I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #42
EasyE
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Saline, Mi
Posts: 44
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Great post of your build. Your collar is well made and put together.That keezer will give you years of enjoyment. Your unique build style will inspire others.....love the pics with descriptions. A gutter extender for your fan, great idea, nice way to save a few bucks.

That tap handle is sick, saw that on ebay last night. How long is that tap handle anyways. Consider getting a tap lock so you don't open the tap accidentally when removing or adding kegs to keezer. I have opened the tap a few times and spilled all over- beer foul!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #43
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
2puttbird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 112
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Hmmm ... just had me some MH#9 tonight at the local pub ... pretty good stuff ... oh yeah, nice build also
__________________
_________________________________________________

If you're not having fun, lower your standards ...

My keezer build thread --> Mid-Missouri freezer conversion

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #44
BrewBeer4fun
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
Great post of your build. Your collar is well made and put together.That keezer will give you years of enjoyment. Your unique build style will inspire others.....love the pics with descriptions. A gutter extender for your fan, great idea, nice way to save a few bucks.

That tap handle is sick, saw that on ebay last night. How long is that tap handle anyways. Consider getting a tap lock so you don't open the tap accidentally when removing or adding kegs to keezer. I have opened the tap a few times and spilled all over- beer foul!
The MH#9 tap handle is 14 & 1/4" from end to end. I definitely need tap locks. I can see that now. Certainly can't have any beer fouls or sticky messes on my floor or even in my drip tray.
__________________
"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
mattyb85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Wakefield, Ma
Posts: 272
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Hi Easy,

I noticed that you mentioned securing the aluminum to the walnut. Where exactly did you connect the aluminum to the walnut Im slightly confused on this part. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
EasyE
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Saline, Mi
Posts: 44
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85 View Post
Hi Easy,

I noticed that you mentioned securing the aluminum to the walnut. Where exactly did you connect the aluminum to the walnut Im slightly confused on this part. Thanks!

The aluminum is not glued or nailed to the walnut, instead, the aluminum is folded and bent to fit over the walnut. I made the bends so that I could slip in over the inside of the aluminum, it just wraps under and over the walnut. All the manifolds and other stuff that is mounted on the aluminum helps hold in place against he walnut. I wanted it that way in case I need to make any repairs, etc, That aluminum took some time to make the bends perfect and get it all to fit together....purely for aesthetics only. You could skip the aluminum altogether, but I found the pink insulation to be not so nice to look at when I open da KEEZER! I hope that helps answer your questions. If you're going for it, I can take some closer pics of the bends so you can have a better idea. Let me know.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #47
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
The Frozen Tundra, NY
Posts: 4,311
Liked 1207 Times on 788 Posts


I copied the aluminum idea for my keezer after seeing this. I couldn't find the black so I just went with silver. I ended up using 14 inch flashing. It looks great, but it does dent fairly easily. If I did it again I'd use heavier aluminum. It is tedious to bend and cut, but it's worth it in the end. It's easy to clean, it keeps moisture from getting to the wood inside the keexer, it seals better around the top and bottom, and looks really nice.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #48
mattyb85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Wakefield, Ma
Posts: 272
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
The aluminum is not glued or nailed to the walnut, instead, the aluminum is folded and bent to fit over the walnut. I made the bends so that I could slip in over the inside of the aluminum, it just wraps under and over the walnut. All the manifolds and other stuff that is mounted on the aluminum helps hold in place against he walnut. I wanted it that way in case I need to make any repairs, etc, That aluminum took some time to make the bends perfect and get it all to fit together....purely for aesthetics only. You could skip the aluminum altogether, but I found the pink insulation to be not so nice to look at when I open da KEEZER! I hope that helps answer your questions. If you're going for it, I can take some closer pics of the bends so you can have a better idea. Let me know.
Yeah i think some pictures might be helpful. I guess im still confused as to what you mean by fit over the walnut. Im going to go with oak for my build since we dont have any reuse lumber shops around where i live. Now did u bend the metal so that it covers the top and bottom of the walnut and also the insulation? I guess I mean that when you are looking down from the top into the keezer you dont see any wood at all? but from the front you see the wood obviously and you dont see the aluminum because of the trim you put around the top and bottom which im definitely going to do because of how clean that looks. I think im going to put weather stripping between the collar and freezer. I think the aluminum covering the wood and insulation would make a nice seal against the stripping already attached to the freezer lid.


Also, how long are your beer & co2 lines? Just trying to figure out how much i need to buy.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #49
EasyE
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Saline, Mi
Posts: 44
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


The beer lines are 8 feet. PSI set at 9. I will send some more detailed pics asap of the aluminum. right now I'm enjoying fresh HopSlam from Bells here in Michigan. Hoppyy!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #50
mattyb85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Wakefield, Ma
Posts: 272
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


thanks a lot man, cant wait to see the close up pics!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keezer Build Frigidaire 15 cubic foot chest freezer WAORGANY Kegerators & Keezers 20 12-08-2012 10:01 PM
Chest freezer models for conversion? frothdaddy Kegerators & Keezers 8 01-25-2011 03:47 AM
chest freezer conversion, collar R value scottlindner Kegerators & Keezers 7 02-28-2010 07:48 PM
Chest Freezer Conversion to Kegerator - Need Help Atl300zx Kegerators & Keezers 11 10-30-2009 09:18 PM
chest freezer conversion outofmire Kegerators & Keezers 8 10-30-2009 01:22 PM


Forum Jump