Using Apple Cinnamon hot cereal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
Ok I love cinnamon and eat quite a bit of the apple/cinnamon hot cereal and would like to get the flavor into my beer. Just a bit not overpowering. Has anyone tried this, I would like to use oats for better head anyways and thought this might work.

I was thinking of a smash with this included.

3 gal batch
7# Munich
.5# oats (apple cinnamon)
1.5oz Tomahawk hops
Safale S-04 yeast

Maybe some Orange zest too.

Are you mashing it in the tun, or adding it to the boil, or both?

There's precedent for using cooking and cereal in brewing so it should be fine, though you will find that more is better. I used 2.4 pounds of ginger snap cookies in the mash of my ginger snap brown ale, and next time I think I will double it.

If you over the stuff will fade with time, if you under calculate, then you won't have it.

ummmmmm ginger snaps......

I'll try 2 pounds then, let ya know how it works out.

Hey Revvy, is there a way to do that ginger snap cookie deal into an extract kit? I really wanna try it, but I'm still new and I'm doing extract kits. I'm guessing crush the cookies to a pulp and put at the end of the boil and bring to boil (or at least 165 F to kill everything) and ferment it? I'm kinda scared that the sugar from the cookie will ferment out and leave it with an undersweet yet gingery flavor.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back