Why no secondary? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why no secondary?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
malkore
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts


Allow me to sum up homebrewing in a way that cannot be thought of as 'dickish' -

Ask 20 home brewers how to do a process, and you'll get more than 20 answers.

If it makes decent...nay...good beer...its the correct method. Period.

I love my secondary...most of the time...but I'll skip it at least 1/3 the time simply because the beer is too dark to matter if there's any yeast haze.

There's only a handful of definititve 'truths' in homebrewing, and even many of those are getting muddled with new inventive methods, equipment and ingredients.
__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
topend
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 116
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


We were all once new to this hobby, so let's not get sideways about newer folks who give us the privilege of weighing in on their questions instead of only searching through the archives. This can be a confusing hobby at times, and there is no reason to get short with folks who just want to do it right. :-).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
NorthRiverS
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 549
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts


Transferring fermented wort to a secondary fermenter just gives you another chance to induce oxidation, infection, etc. I won't do it unless I have a very good reason.

NRS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
davel57
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Escondido, CA
Posts: 60

Conventional wisdom used to be that racking to secondary improved the beer in various ways. Lots of scientific reasons were given. Blind tastings have pretty much shown this not to be the case.

http://www.byo.com/component/resourc...harm-your-beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #15
jjones17
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Posts: 617
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerhooker View Post
I've been through many threads and alot of them just state they don't use them or that they do use a secondary Simply to start another brew. They don't give an explanation as to why. So I started the thread to get an exact answer. I figured it gave the brew a better flavor if you leave it in the primary. I am a newbie gathering info. No need to be an d!ck about it. I'm just learning.
When people do not give you the answer you want to hear, try not to think of them as a 'd!ck'. They might just teach you something.

Realizing this comes with maturity, a point that you have clearly not reached. Give it time.

Revvys point is that there is lots of info on why a secondary is a pointless exercise in almost all cases - perhaps you need to look harder, and stop being a d!ck about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #16
Special Hops
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Kanatenah
Posts: 1,430
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Rather than starting ANOTHER thread about this, why don't you just read what's already beer written? It's not like there's no info available...

This is your best source.

I mean, in most of the threads where the "seasoned brewers" say they don't use them, they usually explain why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerhooker View Post
I've been through many threads and alot of them just state they don't use them or that they do use a secondary Simply to start another brew. They don't give an explanation as to why. So I started the thread to get an exact answer. I figured it gave the brew a better flavor if you leave it in the primary. I am a newbie gathering info. No need to be an d!ck about it. I'm just learning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
Revvy's not being a d!ck. It's just that this question has been asked hundreds of times. There are hundreds of threads dealing with it - it's been done to death. We appreciate that you are new and are learning - we were all there once. And when I was a newbie one of the best pieces of advice I was given was "Search is your friend." Most, if not all, questions you have can be answered by using the search function.

Welcome to the obsession!

Cheers!
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoegaze99 View Post
Just a suggestion for the future, both here and for any other message board you visit: There is usually a FAQ located in a handy and obvious place, often a whole section of 'sticky' posts (posts always sectioned off at the top). In this case, it's right at the top of the Beginners forum. Can't miss it. The FAQ covers all the basics. Your question, in fact, is just the seventh on the list.

Also in that informational section, just a few links down is another handy link with details about what you're asking.

The first thing you should do on any message board, no matter the subject, is to seek that section and read it.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topend View Post
We were all once new to this hobby, so let's not get sideways about newer folks who give us the privilege of weighing in on their questions instead of only searching through the archives. This can be a confusing hobby at times, and there is no reason to get short with folks who just want to do it right. :-).
No reason to jump on his case if he is asking a question. There is a reason forum is called the "BEGINNER BEER BREWING FORUM". Let the beginners ask beginner questions in this forum. It;s not like he is asking it in the all grain forum.

If you get annoyed by repeating answers to beginner questions over and over again, maybe you should just not post in this "BEGINNER Beer brewing forum".
__________________
KANATENAH BREWERY
On Tap:Foreign Extra Stout, ESB
Fermenting: Fools Gold IIPA
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
Shoegaze99
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
No, New Jersey
Posts: 75


Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
No reason to jump on his case if he is asking a question. There is a reason forum is called the "BEGINNER BEER BREWING FORUM". Let the beginners ask beginner questions in this forum. It;s not like he is asking it in the all grain forum.

If you get annoyed by repeating answers to beginner questions over and over again, maybe you should just not post in this "BEGINNER Beer brewing forum".
If a polite, helpful, and informative "just as suggestion" post is the same to you as jumping on someone's case, I can't imagine how thin your skin must be. Either that or you just didn't read my post. If you did, you'd see that lumping me in with "jumping on his case" or suggesting I was annoyed is preposterous.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #18

Revvy really needs to ignore these threads.

New posters often don't know about the search function; nothing wrong with telling them to use it.

Other people should develop thicker skin.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
Beerhooker
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Niles, Michigan
Posts: 12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17

When people do not give you the answer you want to hear, try not to think of them as a 'd!ck'. They might just teach you something.

Realizing this comes with maturity, a point that you have clearly not reached. Give it time.

Revvys point is that there is lots of info on why a secondary is a pointless exercise in almost all cases - perhaps you need to look harder, and stop being a d!ck about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I was not being a d!ck about it. Only trying to learn. The way he came off was d!ckish and I didn't appreciate it. I don't understand why you even post if you are going to be negative. If you don't wan to answer the question then move on to the next thread.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
TTB-J
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Houston, TX
Posts: 589
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


.
__________________
If you can read this, you need to drink more beer.

Reason: Yooper yelled at me.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump