English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG) - Page 21 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #201
CoalCracker
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Posts: 1,670
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts


Just brewed this for the second time this past weekend. Thinking about adding Vanilla to this but concerned that it might be too sweet. What are you thoughts on this?


__________________
coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #202
RyanWeary
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Dallas, TX
Posts: 133
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Brewed this with a friend a while back and used 1028. I also increased the bittering hops and the aroma to .75oz per 5 gallons. Gravity finished a tad higher than I hoped giving me a 5.5% ABV beer. All in all, this is a fantastic porter. Just packed with wonderful complex flavors. I'm going to keep this recipe in my winter rotation for sure. Thanks BierMuncher for a great recipe!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #203
shanlmt
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
nashville, TN
Posts: 40

I'm thinking of making this this weekend. I didn't notice in the recipe what the OG and FG were. Could someone let me know what theirs was? Also what the ABV is? Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #204
RyanWeary
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Dallas, TX
Posts: 133
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlmt View Post
I'm thinking of making this this weekend. I didn't notice in the recipe what the OG and FG were. Could someone let me know what theirs was? Also what the ABV is? Thanks!
A buddy and I just brewed this again this past weekend and our OG was 1.072. That's artificially high though due to the unfermentable lactose addition. I'm expecting a FG of approximately 1.024ish..... Again, it'll finish "high" because of the lactose.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #205
shanlmt
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
nashville, TN
Posts: 40

Thank you! I also just checked my hops stash. I have 1 oz of Kent Goldings, do you think that would be ok to substitute in place of the Fuggles? I think it's got more bitterness than the fuggles. If it's ok to use the Kent, would you use less of it? I don't like hoppy beers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #206
RyanWeary
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Dallas, TX
Posts: 133
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlmt View Post
Thank you! I also just checked my hops stash. I have 1 oz of Kent Goldings, do you think that would be ok to substitute in place of the Fuggles? I think it's got more bitterness than the fuggles. If it's ok to use the Kent, would you use less of it? I don't like hoppy beers.
We upped the hop schedule to .75oz of Fuggles @ 60min and .75oz of Fuggles at 10min. Wanted to cut some of the extra sweetness a little, plus the hops we used were a little lower in AA's than in the OP. I think you'd be fine with the Goldings. Just watch your AA's and adjust as necessary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #207
shanlmt
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
nashville, TN
Posts: 40

I'm going to start brewing this in a few minutes. I just want to make sure I understand the instructions for the mash in and mash out temps. With the mash in.... are you saying to heat the water to 170.5, then when the grains are added it should bring the temp down to 150 and to let it mash at 150 for 45 mins? With the mash out, kind of same question. I use a cooler for my mash tun, so it will already be at least 150 degrees, so if I heat the mash out water to 206 and pour it into the already hot cooler, it doesn't seem like it would come down to 175 degrees. Should I just heat the mash out water to 175? Hope this makes sense. I'm fairly new to all grain recipes. This is only my 3rd batch of all grain, and the previous recipes had more step-by- step instructions. As usual, I've waited till the last minute to post a question I can't wait to try this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #208
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,801
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlmt View Post
I'm going to start brewing this in a few minutes. I just want to make sure I understand the instructions for the mash in and mash out temps. With the mash in.... are you saying to heat the water to 170.5, then when the grains are added it should bring the temp down to 150 and to let it mash at 150 for 45 mins? With the mash out, kind of same question. I use a cooler for my mash tun, so it will already be at least 150 degrees, so if I heat the mash out water to 206 and pour it into the already hot cooler, it doesn't seem like it would come down to 175 degrees. Should I just heat the mash out water to 175? Hope this makes sense. I'm fairly new to all grain recipes. This is only my 3rd batch of all grain, and the previous recipes had more step-by- step instructions. As usual, I've waited till the last minute to post a question I can't wait to try this!
The temperatures will vary based on your mash tun and grain temps and stuff. I generally use one of these calculators to figure out what temp I should put my grain. I will generally heat the water 10-15 degrees higher to preheat my mash tun . Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #209
shanlmt
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
nashville, TN
Posts: 40

I figured it out. I called my LHBS. My O.G. was pretty high though, coming out at 1.064. It tastes good though. I can't wait to taste the finished product. I realized at the end that I forgot the 1/4 tsp of irish moss. Will that make much difference?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #210
shanlmt
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
nashville, TN
Posts: 40

oops, just realized that 1.064 is pretty much the target O.G.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patagonia Black Pearl 340L kev211 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 03-04-2016 06:36 PM
Black Pearl Porter - Taste Issue sacrifice General Beer Discussion 0 11-11-2010 06:54 PM
17 September Brew - Black Pearl Porter sacrifice Home Brewing Photo Forum 6 09-23-2010 04:30 AM
BrewDay 8/21 BeirMunchers Black Pearl Porter Snafu General Beer Discussion 8 09-10-2010 12:14 PM
Yet another all grain first time- Biermuncher's Black Pearl Porter MacBruver All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 05-19-2009 07:00 PM


Forum Jump