English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG) - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,415
Liked 798 Times on 438 Posts


Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5   
Original Gravity: 1.065   
Final Gravity: 1.015   
IBU: 7.5   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75   
Color: 31   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days at 60 degrees   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 60 Degrees   

ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 2.50 gal of water at 206.7 F 175.0 F 15 min

Primary 1 Week (60 Degrees)
Secondary 10 Days (60 Degrees)
Kegged and Force Carbed or Primed and Bottled

This was a very good, very rich Porter. Nice sweetness and great mouthfeel. Friends who shy away from Stout loved this milder (but creamier) dark beer.

3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
somecallmetim
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Loudonville, OH.
Posts: 233
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've brewed a couple of batches of this with a couple of minor changes...

.5oz Northern Brewer for bittering @ 7.8aau , i like thier "minty" flavor in dark beers...

Wyermen CarafaIII instead of the chocolate malt. It's dehusked & is supposed to be smoother than regular Choc. malt.

I also left out the Malto-dextrin & lactose, 'cause thats just the way timmy rolls.

The first batch my eff. sucked, I made a 1.050-1.013 beer, but it had a really nice finish with pretty noticeable fuggleness.

This batch was 1.061-1.019, big smooth & chocolatey, but less hoppy, perhaps next time I'll up the fuggles just a touch.
__________________
On Tap - Haus Ale, Baltic Porter.
Fermenting- SNPA Clone, Half Wit

Jonathanquist Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,415
Liked 798 Times on 438 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim
I've brewed a couple of batches of this with a couple of minor changes...

.5oz Northern Brewer for bittering @ 7.8aau , i like thier "minty" flavor in dark beers...

Wyermen CarafaIII instead of the chocolate malt. It's dehusked & is supposed to be smoother than regular Choc. malt.

I also left out the Malto-dextrin & lactose, 'cause thats just the way timmy rolls.

The first batch my eff. sucked, I made a 1.050-1.013 beer, but it had a really nice finish with pretty noticeable fuggleness.

This batch was 1.061-1.019, big smooth & chocolatey, but less hoppy, perhaps next time I'll up the fuggles just a touch.
I was just revisiting this recipe yesterday and ordered some stuff to do again.

Tis a nice one on a cold winter night.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,925
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts


I'm on this 2.5 gallon stovetop AG kick right now, it started out for an article I was writing, but I'm just having a blast doing these small batches. I was looking for a porter to do and stumbled upon yours, (and since I trust and respect you, I figured it would be good, and it looked tasty) so I brewed it today....It was probably the smoothest brew I've ever done, and hit my numbers perfectly. It smells wonderful and I can't wait to taste it....

I'm also doing a mini batch of your centennial blonde this week....I've never brewed anything so close to a BMC in terms of color, etc so I'm looking forward to the challenge. Thanks for posting these!

__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
shagington
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Newark, De
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm on this 2.5 gallon stovetop AG kick right now, it started out for an article I was writing, but I'm just having a blast doing these small batches. I was looking for a porter to do and stumbled upon yours, (and since I trust and respect you, I figured it would be good, and it looked tasty) so I brewed it today....It was probably the smoothest brew I've ever done, and hit my numbers perfectly. It smells wonderful and I can't wait to taste it....

I'm also doing a mini batch of your centennial blonde this week....I've never brewed anything so close to a BMC in terms of color, etc so I'm looking forward to the challenge. Thanks for posting these!

This might be a stupid question, but on those mini batches what do you ferment in? A regular 5 gallon carboy? Also, is it easy to convert those small batches back to a 5 gallon batches? I am trying to find ways to perfect my recipes so it doesn't hit the pocket so hard and so if I do need to keep replicating it and tweaking it, I have 1 case and not 2 cases every time. Sounds silly but it works out somehow.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,925
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shagington View Post
This might be a stupid question, but on those mini batches what do you ferment in? A regular 5 gallon carboy? Also, is it easy to convert those small batches back to a 5 gallon batches? I am trying to find ways to perfect my recipes so it doesn't hit the pocket so hard and so if I do need to keep replicating it and tweaking it, I have 1 case and not 2 cases every time. Sounds silly but it works out somehow.....
Well, I'm working on an article blowing the dust off your old Mr Beer and doing small batch AG on a stovetop and fermenting in that, but you can also use 3 gallon betterbottles also a lot more 3 gallon spring water jusgs are showing up as <1> and <2> nowadays, so if you look around you can use them as well...I found one yesterday at a grocery store for 5.99 with three gallons of water, that of course became my brewing water.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
shagington
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Newark, De
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well, I'm working on an article blowing the dust off your old Mr Beer and doing small batch AG on a stovetop and fermenting in that, but you can also use 3 gallon betterbottles also a lot more 3 gallon spring water jusgs are showing up as <1> and <2> nowadays, so if you look around you can use them as well...I found one yesterday at a grocery store for 5.99 with three gallons of water, that of course became my brewing water.
Cool! Thanks! I've seen those plastic water jugs about the grocery stores.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,415
Liked 798 Times on 438 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
... I brewed it today....It was probably the smoothest brew I've ever done, and hit my numbers perfectly. It smells wonderful and I can't wait to taste it....
...
That's it.

I'm going to have to crack that last (14 month old) bottle tonight.

Thanks Revvy...

Newsman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,925
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts


Well I cracked my first one today. i kind of lost track of when I bottled it, but I believe it is exactly 3 weeks...and...

It is exquisite...it is quite silky while at the same time being chewy from the oats. It poured with a nice head that dissolved into a nice lacing on the surface as I drink it...It almost has a liccorice-ness like in some of those historical porters, probably from all the chocolate, yet the lactose gives it a nice sweetness to balance it.

I can't pay this enough compliments, BM..It is an awesome Porter at only 3 weeks in the bottle...I can't wait to taste it in a couple months!

Thanks for posting it!!!
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
irunxcjm
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Olathe, KS
Posts: 137
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Hey BierMuncher, I'm thinking of brewing this in a couple of weeks in order to have to drink during those cold Kansas winter days and nights. I'd like to go as cheap as possible and use some dry yeast. Which would you recommend, US-04 or US-05? Or would you recommend sticking with the Wyeast?

Jake

November Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patagonia Black Pearl 340L kev211 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 03-04-2016 06:36 PM
Black Pearl Porter - Taste Issue sacrifice General Beer Discussion 0 11-11-2010 06:54 PM
17 September Brew - Black Pearl Porter sacrifice Home Brewing Photo Forum 6 09-23-2010 04:30 AM
BrewDay 8/21 BeirMunchers Black Pearl Porter Snafu General Beer Discussion 8 09-10-2010 12:14 PM
Yet another all grain first time- Biermuncher's Black Pearl Porter MacBruver All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 05-19-2009 07:00 PM


Forum Jump