Buddy Pass Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 at 65-69f
Tasting Notes
Fruity, Piney, Smooth, Hoppy but Light
This has become my house pale ale. It has a really nice hoppy nose (very fruity and slightly piney) but a balanced flavor. It goes down so easily my friends literally have trouble not drinking it like water. Very smooth.

Recipe based on 65% efficiency

Grain Bill
4.5 lbs. Light DME (53.2%)
1.83 lbs. British 2-Row (21.6%)
.75 lbs. Munich (Light) (8.9%)
.75 lbs. Crystal 40L (8.9%)
.38 lbs. Victory (4.5%)
.25 lbs. Carapils (3%)

Mash
Mash thickness was 1.375
Single Infusion Mash @ 152F for 60 min
Batch Sparge with 182F for 5 min
My boil size was 3 gal, so I added my first runnings to .5 gal of boiling water

Hops
All pellets
.5 oz. Simcoe(12.2%AA) @ 60 min
.5 oz. Simcoe @ 10 min
.5 oz. Amarillo(9.6%AA) @ 10 min
.5 oz Simcoe @ 0 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
.5 oz Simcoe for Dry Hop
.5 oz Centennial for Dry Hop

**Dry Hop Schedule (# of days are the days since the previous action not since start of fermentation)
I sink my hops in paint strainer bags

Dry hop with Simcoe after 7 days in primary
Add Centennial after 5 more days
Remove Simcoe after 3 days
Remove Centennial after 3 days

The Simcoe should spend a total of 8 days and the Centennial should spend a total of 6 days in the primary

Fermentation
Cooled to 70-75F and added US-05 directly from packet
Fermented at room temperature (65-69F)
After dry hop period, crash cool for 48 hrs.

Looks pretty dang delicious. I love pale ales and IPA's with Simcoe and Amarillo.

Are you and your buddies on a lacrosse or soccer team? I assume because of the name "Buddy Pass" and I know it's used in both sports... also know as a "Hospital Ball." :D

EDIT: Or hockey, duh.

Sounds good and I like the centennial and simcoe in the dry hop, with amarillo and simcoe in the boil. What were your IBUs and OG?

Looks pretty dang delicious. I love pale ales and IPA's with Simcoe and Amarillo.

Are you and your buddies on a lacrosse or soccer team? I assume because of the name "Buddy Pass" and I know it's used in both sports... also know as a "Hospital Ball." :D

EDIT: Or hockey, duh.

Yup, hockey haha.

sounds good and i like the centennial and simcoe in the dry hop, with amarillo and simcoe in the boil. What were your ibus and og?

ibu: 38
og: 1.053

The hop flavor and aroma is the best of any beer I've made so far. Unreal.

ibu: 38
og: 1.053

The hop flavor and aroma is the best of any beer I've made so far. Unreal.

Don't you love when that happens? I recently (finally) got my roommate into hoppy beers with my RyePA which, in my opinion, is very bitter. I think it was just because of the perfect aroma/flavor combinations... sometimes it comes out just right and it sounds like that's where you're at :rockin:

Congratulations and cheers! :mug:

Don't you love when that happens? I recently (finally) got my roommate into hoppy beers with my RyePA which, in my opinion, is very bitter. I think it was just because of the perfect aroma/flavor combinations... sometimes it comes out just right and it sounds like that's where you're at :rockin:

Congratulations and cheers! :mug:

Thanks! Yeah, literally my best friends GF has to make him stop drinking. He'll come over after work and just down two or three glasses in 10 minutes and every time he says "I can't help it, its so good". Nothing better than finally making a beer that other people appreciate as much as you.

Boleslaus said:
Thanks! Yeah, literally my best friends GF has to make him stop drinking. He'll come over after work and just down two or three glasses in 10 minutes and every time he says "I can't help it, its so good". Nothing better than finally making a beer that other people appreciate as much as you.

Its a funny thing too, because as much as you want people to love your beer, when they start downing glass after glass, you can't help but to get a little concerned that they are drinking all your beer! Gotta conserve man, savor that stuff! :)

Its a funny thing too, because as much as you want people to love your beer, when they start downing glass after glass, you can't help but to get a little concerned that they are drinking all your beer! Gotta conserve man, savor that stuff! :)

Yea, I'm running into that problem now. 40 beers (16 oz) sounds like a lot until you get a few friends who want to drink it as much as you do. That's why I've got another batch ready next week.
:mug:

I made this same recipe again a few weeks ago with whole leaf Simcoe (didn't bother recalculating for different utilization) and it ended up tasting just as good!

I submitted this to a competition at my LHBS last week. I don't think it is a BJCP certified competition, but I'm interested to see the results. I'm also planning on submitting an entry to the Peach State Brew Off. I'll post the results here. This latest batch tastes as good as ever. I can definitely taste a difference between last years and this years hops though. Same profile, just a little different.

Back