Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Question regarding 1st year hop pruning/training.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Rahahb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Question regarding 1st year hop pruning/training.

Seems to be some conflicting information on this in the threads I've searched. I don't doubt I missed some definitive information though..

This is my first year for hops. I have 1 cascade plant that has really taken off considering how late I planted it(little under 2 weeks ago). I have 2 of the other 3 that are still small and have only a couple of bines poking through.

Some people say leave 1st year hops alone. Some say cut all but 2 or 3 bines. Freshops instructions say 2-3 bines/rope with 2 ropes per plant. I only ran 1 rope per plant so I'm limited there. If it was absolutely necessary, I could revise my trellis to have 2 ropes per plant, but I'd rather wait til harvest.

Here's a current picture.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

First year i would suggest 2-3 bines per line, 2 lines per rhizome. Of course, this will probably contradict someone else's advice, and you're right back to square one...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4845 Times on 4721 Posts
Likes Given: 2959

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
First year i would suggest 2-3 bines per line, 2 lines per rhizome. Of course, this will probably contradict someone else's advice, and you're right back to square one...
This is the typical recommendation for mature crowns. I honestly don't know what they do at hop farms for 1st and 2nd year hops, but you want to promote as much leaf-out as possible to capture light energy for root development/storage. I have let my first years go kind of "wild"... as many strong looking bines as possible. Again, farms may do it differently, and I am curious what farm-scale protocol is here.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lol well unless more sprout up the pic only shows 6 shoots that i can count so there u have it let em all grow. Id just let em all grow. I did that on my original 11 plants and had tremendous results. I plan on doing that with all mine this year as well(went from 11 to 39 plants.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
gestyr
Just an earthbound misfit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I agree with letting them go hog wild on the first year. This will really help with the root development.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The reason to leave them alone the first year is to encourage root growth. When you trim less energy is needed to support leaf growth. Roots grow to handle that demand.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Fair enough. I trimmed, got a good yield (about 8oz dry) my first year from two of my three mounds, and my hops are still alive, so that was my recommendation.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3648 Times on 2481 Posts
Likes Given: 2458

Don't trim for first year. You need all of the energy from the all of the leaves you can get. After the roots are established, then trim to concentrate the growth into the remaining bines, for cone production.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahahb View Post
Freshops instructions say 2-3 bines/rope with 2 ropes per plant.
Thanks
When discussing how many shoots to let climb, I think there is some confusion because many folks are not differentiating whether they are first year or more mature plants. If you look at the info from Freshops, the '2-3 per rope' is stated for more 'mature' plants.

Sure, you can have success by only allowing 2 or 3 to grow from a first year plant, but the more growth that first year plant can produce will equate to a much larger store of energy in the crown by the end of the growing season. The reason for this is that hops are very efficient at being able to produce not only enough energy to sustain their own top growth, but also produce an excess that is sent to the crown to be used in the future. Kinda like 6-row malt having enough enzymes to convert it's own starch plus some left over.

Just stick 'em in the ground, give them something to climb on and they'll be fine.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
ForerunnerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
When discussing how many shoots to let climb, I think there is some confusion because many folks are not differentiating whether they are first year or more mature plants. If you look at the info from Freshops, the '2-3 per rope' is stated for more 'mature' plants.
Would you say then if I have two ropes dedicated per rhyzome hill and 3 bines per rope that-that would be sufficient for the first year? For root growth and bine/hop growth considering the need to have enough leaves to catch sunlight?

That sounds great to me, but it also sounds to me like alot of bines for a new rhyzome. Which also sounds like what you may do for a more mature plant.