National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #51
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1213 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I just last week took delivery of this Merkur Classic 1904:

I was a little shocked at how short the handle really is in your hand but it's been a dream. No nicks so far and nice and close. Nice little unit for $25 shipped.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #52
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Bobby, that is a nice looking open comb, I never thought of picking up a replica razor but I might pop for one of those from west coast shaving, I need some other things anyway. how would you rate the quality of it? it doesnt look like a cheap unit in the pic.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #53
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It is odd when you get it in your hand and you immitiately think it is way too tiny in person.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #54
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1213 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It certainly doesn't feel cheap. I mean, I can see the attraction to getting a real antique but it skeeves me out a bit.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #55
imreallycrazy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I, like many guys on here apparently, got started in DE shaving from reading articles about it on The Art Of Manliness website. I bought a Schick Krona used from a flea market for a couple bucks and cleaned it according to AOM's descriptions. I have been using it with the cheap drugstore blades, boarhair brush, and shaving soap. I have noticed a much better shaving experience and much less irritation. Lately AOM has been touting the use of straight razors and my curiosity and sense of adventure has led me to buy a compromise razor that uses a replaceable single edge razor blade but is built and used like a regular straight razor. My plan is try to get the feel for shaving with this till I see a real SE show up at my local flea market that is worth restoring and then use that.

Slyko Likes This 
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #56
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I cleaned my vintage razor with a good oxyclean soak, some elbow grease with a cheapie toothbrush, then finished it on the polishing wheel in the garage.

On the straight razor front, check out this incredible craftsman!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #57
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 52

One question I have of the "experts"
Do you need to do any prep work if you wanted to get rid of say 3-4 weeks of growth? I have been planning on getting a DE razor this payday (29th) and due to doing long shifts at work this month I have been slack on shaving (under the guise of I have decided to grow a beard). Am I going to need to pull out the clippers to take of most of the "beard" first or can I go straight to the DE?

Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 AM   #58
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Personally I would clipper it down first, take a hot shower to try to get the stubble as soft as possible, get a good lather going and lather your face with the brush for a good minute or so, steam your face for a couple minutes with some hot washcloth applications, wipe the lather off and re-lather, knock the stubble down with a few passes, do not try to get a smoothe shave on the first pass, instead go with a couple very light passes.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #59
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5573 Times on 4913 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Am I going to need to pull out the clippers to take of most of the "beard" first or can I go straight to the DE?
I have seen some vids of fellows go all in DE against weeks of growth to make an example of a razors ability.

Not for me.

Trimmers then shave.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #60
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Personally I would clipper it down first, take a hot shower to try to get the stubble as soft as possible, get a good lather going and lather your face with the brush for a good minute or so, steam your face for a couple minutes with some hot washcloth applications, wipe the lather off and re-lather, knock the stubble down with a few passes, do not try to get a smoothe shave on the first pass, instead go with a couple very light passes.
Thanks, looking forward to getting the razor. Anyone suggest a good online store to get a basic starters kit from. Looking at some of the $13 ebay ones to get started but all of them seem to included shipping in the price and if I'm getting a brush and soap as well I don't want to pay 3 times for the "shipping"