Wet shaving thread. - Page 37 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #361
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,455
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
I read that a while ago before ever thinking of getting a straight, I actually forgot all about that wiki.

I need to reread that a few times, Thanks Android!!
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing


I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #362
Airplanedoc
 
Airplanedoc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Posts: 1,903
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts


I switched to a DE about 2 years ago, been shaving with soap and a badger brush for about 20 years, used caned goo a bit in college.

Currently using a Merkur Slant, red personnas and a wee scott, or a sta-fast that I put a new super badger head in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #363
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,455
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
I switched to a DE about 2 years ago, been shaving with soap and a badger brush for about 20 years, used caned goo a bit in college.

Currently using a Merkur 34, red personnas and a wee scott, or a sta-fast that I put a new super badger head in.
All of my razors are 1945 or earlier, but I think I need to get a newer merkur sant to play with, might even buy new on this one!
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing


I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #364
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,060
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts


I just got a gilette adjustable off ebay last night for $17. Probably paid too much but I really wanted to try and adjustable. Looking to get an old brush that I can restore too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I just put a weekend into trying out the shark blades and thought they shave pretty good, going to order a hundred on Amazon, in order to get the free shipping I am going to get a hundred of the Israeli personna blades as well to try out.
I tried out a feather the other day. Damn those things are awesome. I am about to split 100 of them with a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Glad the Sharks worked for you, can't beat the price.

I do the same thing when ordering - add in a book, or a t-shirt, or some little item we need to get over the $25 free-shipping line.
Gotta lova Amazon Prime.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #365
android
 
android's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,062
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
I just got a gilette adjustable off ebay last night for $17. Probably paid too much but I really wanted to try and adjustable. Looking to get an old brush that I can restore too.
what kind of adjustable is it? $17 doesn't seem bad to me. i've actually got a few NOS badger brushes that i stockpiled a while ago if you are interested in one, i could probably sell you one for like $20 if you don't want to go the restoration route. IIRC, they are silvertip, but i'll have to dig them out and double check.
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #366
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,060
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
what kind of adjustable is it? $17 doesn't seem bad to me. i've actually got a few NOS badger brushes that i stockpiled a while ago if you are interested in one, i could probably sell you one for like $20 if you don't want to go the restoration route. IIRC, they are silvertip, but i'll have to dig them out and double check.
The listing wasn't very detailed and I am not that great at identification yet. I will figure out the year its from when I get it though.

Thanks for the offer on the brush. I am tracking a couple on ebay so if that falls through I might take you up on that. More than likely though if I can't get something really cheap on ebay I will just replace the knot in the POS one I have now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #367
android
 
android's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,062
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts


do you have a link to the razor in ebay?
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #368
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,060
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts


Yeah, I meant to add that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300598653972...84.m1423.l2649

I know the black tip ones are newer and it looks like it is in really good shape.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #369
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Columbus, OH
Posts: 404
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts


I'm looking forward to knowing how you like the adjustable you picked up. I've been looking for one under twenty t try out.

I'm finding I like my Merkur 1904 over my Gem Klog Pruf. The SE GEM is just too aggressive for me. I also don't like packing up my things as I travel from my house to my work apartment and back. I've doubled up on nearly everything to try and alleviate that but I need to find another workable razor, the GEM doesn't work Like I was hoping it would.

Also finding out shaving every other day keeps the irritation down and no one really seems to notice if I don't shave a day even though it kind of drives me crazy with my neck hairs rubbing on my jacket collar all day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #370
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,455
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CHefJohnboyardee View Post
I'm looking forward to knowing how you like the adjustable you picked up. I've been looking for one under twenty t try out.

I'm finding I like my Merkur 1904 over my Gem Klog Pruf. The SE GEM is just too aggressive for me. I also don't like packing up my things as I travel from my house to my work apartment and back. I've doubled up on nearly everything to try and alleviate that but I need to find another workable razor, the GEM doesn't work Like I was hoping it would.

Also finding out shaving every other day keeps the irritation down and no one really seems to notice if I don't shave a day even though it kind of drives me crazy with my neck hairs rubbing on my jacket collar all day.
I have found that the Gillette Tech is a very forgiving razor, it is recommended as a first DE by many because it isnt very agressive, of all the razors I have and use I keep going to my techs for a smoothe shave with no irritation.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing


I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shaving Blows ShakerD General Chit Chat 85 06-09-2011 06:39 PM
StumbleUpon Thread: You know you want one Brew-Happy General Chit Chat 10 12-25-2009 07:53 PM
another baby thread redraider629 General Chit Chat 15 12-17-2009 04:14 PM
HBT NFL '09 Thread ohiobrewtus General Chit Chat 6 08-23-2009 05:16 AM
HBT NFL '08 thread ohiobrewtus General Chit Chat 434 03-09-2009 02:10 PM


Forum Jump