Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #1641
rhoop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Will the blades degrade on their own over time?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #1642
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoop View Post
Will the blades degrade on their own over time?
They will oxidize and dull overtime once out of the wrappers or if the wrappers get wet or too damp from humidity.

Once you start to shave with them and they get wet they go down hill quick. You can get a few more shaves out of a blade if you dry them. I usually just shake the water out or pat dry with a thick towel (do so carefully, at your own risk of what you feel comfortable with). I can easily get 5-6 shaves out of a gillette 7oclock black and they rate up there with Feathers.

I can rarely get a good shave if a blade has been used a few times over a two week period but my beard is from hell...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #1643
rhoop
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Ok, so as long as I store them in their wrappers I'm good. I have really coarse hair and don't get more than a few shaves with a blade. Maybe this will change with the feathers.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #1644
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If they are in your razor make sure they are dry before leaving them. If they are in their wrapper unused keep them that way

If you have a few hundred, an airtight container helps. Some people go as far as to put packets of silica gel in with the blades. Silly preppers anticipating the shavepocalypse... Says the guy with 2 straights and two hundredish blades (small compared to lots!)

Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #1645
two_hearted
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I've not had luck with feathers, but Sharks and 7am have worked better. Everyone's face is different.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #1646
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHefJohnboyardee View Post
If they are in your razor make sure they are dry before leaving them. If they are in their wrapper unused keep them that way

If you have a few hundred, an airtight container helps. Some people go as far as to put packets of silica gel in with the blades. Silly preppers anticipating the shavepocalypse... Says the guy with 2 straights and two hundredish blades (small compared to lots!)
I didn't mess with sealing my bulk blades since each 5 blade pack is wrapped in cellophane.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #1647
Barnstormer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I've been using a slightly more aggressive open comb razor that requires a much lighter touch. I've had great luck with the bluebirds and the personna labs (blue package). I would recommend them.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #1648
Punity
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 51

OK i literally spent last night at work reading this thread, i always passed it by because i thought it was a joke thread title. I had no idea that this was a real thing. I didnt know you could do it home and even watched the How its Made episodes on SE and DEs and asked my wife who the hell still uses those?

After diving into this thread and being at work i was ansy to get home. Im looking at a 65 SuperSpeed on ebay right now up to .99 cents(whooo)

Ive got a brush cream and blades on the way here from westcoast shaving, i think im about to take over the bathroom or at least annex some from my wife.

Question i have is using a soap puck i see alot of yall have it in a cup and wanted to know do you lather in the cup or use hot water to pick up some and then use another vessel.

AHHH im really excited to get all my supplies here and start shaving.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #1649
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I just swipe my soap a few times with my wet brush, in a circular pattern. Then Face lather with the brush.

I keep my soap in a bowl, or a can (from Westcoast shaving) If your soap doesn't fit the bowl/mug just cut some off and pack the shavings in the bottom or where ever they fit.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #1650
Gixxer
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I have some screw top plastic bowls, and used a cheese grater to mill the soap in it, and press it back into one piece. Some of the soap manufacturers have the option to buy their soap in a bowl already.

That being said... I get the brush wet, shake most of the water out, give it a few swirls, then work up a lather in a wide mouth mug, adding a few drops at a time till it is the consistency that works for me.

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter