Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #1501
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
Two down strokes on the face and you get a clean shave?
I'm Scottish with blonde/red hair, not too bristley

Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #1502
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_

I'm Scottish with blonde/red hair, not too bristley
I'm Germany, I got lots of thick hair

Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #1503
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1778 Posts
Likes Given: 52845

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer

I'm Germany, I got lots of thick hair
O rly?

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #1504
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Woop - I'm going to Edwin-Jagger factory tomorrow to look at a new brush! Although I'm not allowed in the production area for insurance reasons....

Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #1505
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 252 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillWill View Post
Woop - I'm going to Edwin-Jagger factory tomorrow to look at a new brush! Although I'm not allowed in the production area for insurance reasons....
I suspect it's really to prevent you from observing the secrets of brush manufacuturing...and the Oompa Loompas.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #1506
ChillWill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter

I suspect it's really to prevent you from observing the secrets of brush manufacuturing...and the Oompa Loompas.
Ha, I'll look out for short orange people.

UK is a bit safety conscious so it doesn't surprise me. I don't think there are any secrets as to how the brush is made.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #1507
BigPicture
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Once I had all the right equipment, the multi-pass was the biggest game changer for me.

I have very sensitive skin & couldn't use the cartridge as a result. I found the BIC disposable as my only solution. To think I used that POS for 20+ years. I didn't know there was something better out there. Once I saw this thread & was told there was a better way, my shaves have improved 100%. My skin improved 100%. My ingrown hair, irritation, razor burn has been eliminated.

A BIC blade came in my sample pack.................... and it was garbage! The Feather blade works much better for me. But YMMV of course.

Thank you for turning me onto B&B and the Mantic videos too!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #1508
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I shave my entire head and all but my chin and lip. I quit counting passes a LONG time ago! Put some music on, lather up and enjoy it!

Scrape scrape scrape... Feel it, pull the skin tight, scrape scrape.... Feel it!

Long as you have the razor sharp and at the right angle.... 1,000 passes won't hurt anything!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #1509
ChillWill
Recipes 

Well I just got back from Edwin Jagger, had a really nice time; excellent customer service and very friendly. Surprising they're a tiny operation (didn't even have a sign above the door).

Anyway, they had a couple of brushes out for me that I'd picked to choose between best and super hair to show the difference in grades (ended up with the super), they also sent me away with some Edwin Jagger product samples (pre-shave lotion, shaving soap and after shave).

Obviously couldn't wait to get home and try it all out and wow what a difference!

Previously it was cheapo bager&bristle brush (prickly), prorasso soap bowl and nivea after shave balm. Found I could only do this after a shower otherwise it'd pull a bit too much, however that combo usually worked pretty well.

Anwyway, did the warm cloth on face 30s trick, put the pre-shave lotion on (gorgeous menthol) and then shaved with a derby blade (3rd use) and wow, the brush was incredibly soft and the shave was really smooth. No tugging or pulling. Best shave I've had to date without a doubt and the after shave is so much better than the watery nivea stuff (that I've got a little left from my mach 3 days)

Usually use feather blades but I'm out and have more on order; can't wait for those to arrive. Will definitely be buying some EJ pre-shave and after shalve balms... although must admit I'd have saved myself a little by going online, the extra was worth the personal experience. I also took them a couple of beers (from the brewery I work at).

Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #1510
Gixxer
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Sounds like an interesting trip! I would like to see the Simpsons factory or... Dovo. I saw Dovo on how its made but it would still be cool to see it in person. I didn't know they were drop forged. I thought they were just ground from flat stock. There is nothing wrong with either way of course...

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter