Wet shaving thread. - Page 131 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #1301
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Nivea aftershave for sensitive skin is my favorite.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #1302
Slyko
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Roseville, CA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My question is about the Olive Oil/Baby Oil combination. Experimented & found if I add the oil to the bowl the lather is rather wimpy. I've found out Biglow doesn't make a big lather to begin with. Guess what, you guys pointed me to the answer = B&B's website.

1) If I apply the oil directly to my face then whip the saving cream up separately in the bowl I can get a much thicker lather, slicker skin, & better shave. Which shaving creams produce a THICK lather & moisturize?

What's been your experience? = It's the product!

Nivea is next!

I have been using a Bic disposable up to now & have been pressing REAL hard to get close. I have to stretch the skin, just beat myself up. But there is a happy medium I've had to achieve, hot razor burn has been a consequence of the pressure, but if I go easy stubble is everywhere. The blade itself is a cheap POS?!

The multi-blade cartridges would just turn my face to hamburger.

I'm just a newbie to this wet shaving but in my limited experience I've found just the preparation & product has improved my skin a huge amount. Before I would just slap on the can goo & push that Bic into my face. Not anymore.

Just using these new products have lessened the burn 100%. I can't wait to have a sharp blade & a heavy shaver that just cuts by falling down.

http://youtu.be/N9qYF9DZPdw
The joys I have in life are simple............. a good beer & a good shave............................ it just doesn't get any better.

2) Which blade should I start off with a Merkur & a sensitive face?

This thread alone is packed with tons of good information. Thank you guys.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #1303
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Wichita, KS
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Best aftershave I've found is Proraso - the alcohol splash. Next best (and the one that drives the ladies crazy) is to use unscripted witch hazel then a very small amount of Art of Shaving's sandalwood aftershave.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #1304
FastAndy

Recipes 

Nov 2010
Denver, CO
Liked 173 Times on 135 Posts

I'm curious about using witch hazel. Is it an oil or more like rubbing alcohol? Are you just using a splash after your have? I have really sensitive skin and have heard it may help.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #1305
Slyko
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Roseville, CA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm in the sensitive skin camp too. Witch Hazel is only $5 for a big bottle. I've read where alcohol is a big no-no, but I've found a 14% type that is very nice. Walmart or CVS both carry it.

Try it. You'll like it.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #1306
E-Mursed

Recipes 

May 2011
Westland, MI
Liked 112 Times on 65 Posts

Thayers unscented(truly an unscented witch hazel) and I add a few drops of Bay Rum scent.

Thayers is the absolute best.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 09-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #1307
Gixxer
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Columbia, SC
Liked 126 Times on 105 Posts

Witch hazel has 14% alcohol. I use it (unscented, generic brand) every day. Shave, rinse, witch hazel, Cornhusker's lotion, aftershave or cologne. Sure straight rubbing alcohol can be irritating and drying, but 14% is not all that bad and the CHL works real well at moisturizing. A little goes a long way, as in I use a dot in my palm slightly bigger than a pencil eraser. When I use the witch hazel I go straight to the CHL before my face dries. Helps spread it out.

One thing about witch hazel. It smells like butt when you put it on, but the smell goes away in under a minute if that. Do not worry about that at all. By the time I get the CHL on I cannot even tell I used witch hazel.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #1308
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer
Witch hazel has 14% alcohol. I use it (unscented, generic brand) every day. Shave, rinse, witch hazel, Cornhusker's lotion, aftershave or cologne. Sure straight rubbing alcohol can be irritating and drying, but 14% is not all that bad and the CHL works real well at moisturizing. A little goes a long way, as in I use a dot in my palm slightly bigger than a pencil eraser. When I use the witch hazel I go straight to the CHL before my face dries. Helps spread it out.

One thing about witch hazel. It smells like butt when you put it on, but the smell goes away in under a minute if that. Do not worry about that at all. By the time I get the CHL on I cannot even tell I used witch hazel.
This is how I use it as well, I shave, rinse, witch hazel splashed on almost as if I were applying sunscreen, then a small amount of pinaud aftershave or caswell massey 1752 sandalwood balm

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #1309
ninjamonkey80
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My combo is Schick adjustable single edge injector from the 60's, badger brush, proraso ultra sensitive shave soap, and proraso pre shave cream used as after shave. I used to get horrible burn on my neck but this combo gets me baby butt smooth and never a single burn bump. I do use a straight razor as well but only when I really want to take my time. When it comes to shaving you gotta go old school. Its a lost art but well worth it.

azscoob Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #1310
Airplanedoc

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mursed View Post
Thayers unscented(truly an unscented witch hazel) and I add a few drops of Bay Rum scent.

Thayers is the absolute best.
Why not go with just Bay Rum? I'm a fan of Dominica Bay Rum myself, been using it for years.