After having a particularly gnarly carboy to clean the other day, I got tired of using the brush so I decided to try to build one for the drill. I know there are commercial examples out there but for one, I didn't want to drop the coin on it and two, I like the challenge of making one.
Here is the parts list:
Threaded 5/16 Rod $2.29
12x16 Microfiber Cloth $3.49
5/16 Lock Nut (6@ $0.14) $0.84
1/4 Thread Guard $0.37
I started out with a new microfiber cloth although I thought about going with a terry cloth/old dish towel. I punched holes at the top, bottom and 2 in the middle. The nuts I'm using have built in "locks" on them with little swirls. At each point, there are two of them that grab the cloth.
-To start, put one nut facing down on, then feed the cloth top hole on, and then another nut facing up.
-Then put another nut facing down on and then feed the center hole(s) on followed by another nut facing up. I used tow holes for the middle.
-Put one nut facing down on, then feed the cloth bottom hole on, and then another nut facing up.
-Adjust all the nuts to keep the cloth tight across the rod and then cinch the nuts on each other.
-Install the 1/4" thread guard on the end of the rob by the cloth. This is more of a carboy guard than a thread guard. I went with 1/4" since it fit tight while the actual 5/16 were too loose.
The end cap:
Here is the finished Product:
I gave it a wet run on an already cleaned carboy (nothing to clean right now) and it worked great. Seemed to have good coverage and was easy to control due to the larger surface area. The only thing I may end up adding on is a stopper at the to to protect the carboy but it was also easy to hold with a gloved hand.
I'll try to post more picts/a video when the true test comes around.