Hydrometer Sample: Hot or cold? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hydrometer Sample: Hot or cold?

View Poll Results: I take my reading...
from a hot sample and calculate the correction 5 29.41%
from a cooled sample with the cold break on the bottom 8 47.06%
from a cooled sample with the cold break mixed up 3 17.65%
other 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
ESPY
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Columbus, OH
Posts: 83


For those who take pre-boil hydrometer readings, I'm curious how you do it.

For some reason I've never fully trusted the hydrometer correction calculations in ProMash. I have absolutely no reason not to, but still don't. Therefore, I've always waited for my hydrometer sample to cool before reading. But then there's usually some cold break that settles out and I've never really known if I should leave the stuff on the bottom or mix it up before I take a reading.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Pabst Blue Robot
 
Pabst Blue Robot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 452
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPY
For those who take pre-boil hydrometer readings, I'm curious how you do it.

For some reason I've never fully trusted the hydrometer correction calculations in ProMash. I have absolutely no reason not to, but still don't. Therefore, I've always waited for my hydrometer sample to cool before reading. But then there's usually some cold break that settles out and I've never really known if I should leave the stuff on the bottom or mix it up before I take a reading.

A few brews ago, I had the opportunity to take a sample at 150 degrees F and adjust with promash, and then measure again when the tube dropped to 60 degrees F. I found no difference between the final reading and Promash's adjustment, but even with the 90 degree difference in tempurature it's not a large adjustment.

My immediate thoughts on cold break would be, that since it is not solulable, whether it is mixed up or at the bottom it would simply displace the liquid and not alter the gravity reading.
__________________
This is the ORIGINAL Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Nature's choicest products provide its prized flavor. Only the finest of hops and grains are used. Selected as America's Best in 1893.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Ahh I voted wrong. My preboil I take out of the wort just after sparging. I then let it cool to temp while the wort is heating up and then add it back to the boil. I don't trust correction algorithms beyond a few degrees for some reason. Call me paranoid, but I haven't seen the actual equation so maybe that is why I get nervous, but it seems to me the higher than say 90's corrections are not er uhm correct? I am speculating but that is how I proceed.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
cweston
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,014
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabst Blue Robot
A few brews ago, I had the opportunity to take a sample at 150 degrees F and adjust with promash, and then measure again when the tube dropped to 60 degrees F. I found no difference between the final reading and Promash's adjustment, but even with the 90 degree difference in tempurature it's not a large adjustment.
I have heard that taking readings in hot wort tends to break hydrometers. I haven't experienced this, but it seems plausible, since breathing wrong anywhere near them tends to break hydrometers.

I usually cool my post-sparge sample to 60 in an ice bath. I put the sample tube in a 1 gal thermos, then add ice around it and fill with water. It cools very quickly.
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabst Blue Robot
A few brews ago, I had the opportunity to take a sample at 150 degrees F and adjust with promash, and then measure again when the tube dropped to 60 degrees F. I found no difference between the final reading and Promash's adjustment, but even with the 90 degree difference in tempurature it's not a large adjustment.
Yeah I use some calculator off the net, maybe that is why I don't trust it. I dunno, at any rate I have done comparisons and found them to be occasionally a point or two off...this could be reader error though.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Pabst Blue Robot
 
Pabst Blue Robot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 452
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I have heard that taking readings in hot wort tends to break hydrometers. I haven't experienced this, but it seems plausible, since breathing wrong anywhere near them tends to break hydrometers.

I usually cool my post-sparge sample to 60 in an ice bath. I put the sample tube in a 1 gal thermos, then add ice around it and fill with water. It cools very quickly.

It's funny, I've broken 4 hydrometers over the course of my time brewing but never from that. Boiling water might do it, but I've never had problems at mash temps. Now I'm in for a 5th, I can feel it...
__________________
This is the ORIGINAL Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Nature's choicest products provide its prized flavor. Only the finest of hops and grains are used. Selected as America's Best in 1893.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Pabst Blue Robot
 
Pabst Blue Robot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 452
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Yeah I use some calculator off the net, maybe that is why I don't trust it. I dunno, at any rate I have done comparisons and found them to be occasionally a point or two off...this could be reader error though.
This may sound like a really stupid question, but is your graduated cylinder on a level surface? I used to take readings with mine on my workbench which isn't level, and it would throw the reading by about 2 points.
__________________
This is the ORIGINAL Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. Nature's choicest products provide its prized flavor. Only the finest of hops and grains are used. Selected as America's Best in 1893.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Desert_Sky
 
Desert_Sky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 4,077
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts


obligatory Nader response

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,574
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts


I use a refractometer during brewing and take hydrometer readings off of chilled samples decanted off the cold break.
__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
Brewsmith
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,252
Liked 64 Times on 59 Posts


Right before turning the kettle off, I take a sample with a 1 cup pyrex cup and put it in the fridge. By the time I get the wort chilled, in the fermenter and get the big equipment cleaned, the sample is right at 60 and the break material has settled.
__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bubbles in hydrometer sample Shawn Hargreaves Extract Brewing 1 02-17-2009 03:20 AM
Cooling your hydrometer sample Cougfan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 42 02-01-2009 12:33 AM
Drinking the Hydrometer sample kappclark Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 01-01-2008 10:34 PM
Getting a Hydrometer Sample spie0092 General Techniques 5 02-07-2007 07:59 PM


Forum Jump