Brettanomyces infection? Dunno. Complicated? Yes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spm1327

Reaction score
Dear Hero,

Alright. So I've made a few beers and brews with Brettanomyces, different Wyeast blends, etc. I made an apple cider, an orval, a bretty cherry porter, etc.

My last three kegged beers have been sort of astringent, fruity, an odd off flavor. When pre-kegging they seemed totally fine. At first I thought this was due to the high tempuratures upstairs in my house in the winter as I noticed a ton of fruity notes, less juicy fruit, more banana. The beers would change in the keg after days and then become almost bandaid-ish. Needless to say it's very difficult to explain these flavors.

When I brew I like to keg half and bottle half. Recently I found that my bottled beer was fine and it was the kegged stuff that was f'd. I realized it's the KEG!!! In the past I have cleaned my kegs like a mad man. I have used iodine in them. I have let iodine soak in them to kill any brett (is this bad?) I have ran BLC through, etc.

THIS TIME I ran boiling water through my keg system a ton of times. I kept getting this smell from the boiling water that reminded me of the bad beer smells. I realized it was a sorta Brett-Apple Cider-Iodine smell.
I continued to run boiling water through and through.
I kept getting it.
Then I changed my plastic line and it went away. The whole time it was the line.
Now I came back from vacation after 5 days and did this again (with the new line) and I sort of picked up the smell again when I ran about 2 gallons of water through my system. I don't know if I am imagining it though. I tasted some of the water (cooled to room temp) and it has a tiny hint of it, again, I could be imagining this. Before this taste and smell was intensely strong.

MY QUESTIONS:
Does Iodine have a reaction with plastic or metal that I don't know about?
Does Iodine have a reaction with brettanomyces or wild yeast or apple cider, etc?

Please keep in mind I ran a ton of boiling water through this all. I know plastic or rubber can scratch and become pourus and make a nice little home for wild yeast but after gallons gallons and gallons of boiling water I should be fine.

I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE ANOTHER KEGGED BATCH (even though I prefer to bottle and drink bottle conditioned beer)

love,
Sean

hey sean, what kind of beverage line are you using? might help w/an answer (and might bring back up another hot topic...)

not sure about the reactions, but i would guess no, just from a lack of related problem threads.

edit: here's the bev line 'hot topic' i was talking about

rule of thumb... anything soft rubber or plastic should be dedicated.... change your beverage lines and rebuild your taps after a good cleaning and sanitization.. boil your tap parts but be carful not to swell the o-rings or you will need to replace them... ive got away with boillimg my poppets and bung o-ring in the keg before but the tube and posts o-rings are easly replaced... oh and your disconnects need a good boil cleaning also..

Latest posts

Back