Need Help--have to brew using a Mr Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyius

Reaction score
I started brewing many years ago with buckets and quality extract, never did the Mr Beer thing.

A somewhat sad story has come up, guy retired and his wife bought him a Mr Beer deluxe kit. He kept meaning to brew as soon as they got back from Florida, had a heart attack and died there.

Now the wife has turned to us, 'please make his beer'.

My first thought was to brew some extract the right way and just dump it into the bottles with some priming caps. My wife pointed out that it is likely the woman will come over to see the keg shaped plastic full.

I already threw out the yeast. I have the hopped malt extract and a bag of what I suspect is corn sugar labeled "booster".

Should I just brew a half batch of regular extract and put it in the plastic thing, or try the canned malt? Any tips or things to watch out for? The directions claim the lid is pressure releasing.

Replace the booster with a pound of dme. Boil the dme up with a half gallon of water, cool to 70 degrees, then add the pre hopped extract to the mix. Mix well, top off the remaining couple gallons with room temp water and add a decent yeast and you should end up with drinkable beer. A cheap packet of nottingham will do the trick. Will not be the best brew you have ever tasted by any means but drinkable.

I started with Mr Beer...there I said it! Towards the end of my Mr Beer batches; I was replacing the booster with 1# DME & replaced the yeast with US-05. It wasn't bad. Just use your standard fermentation temp & times. You could even throw in .25 oz of your favorite finishing hop.

Back