once sanitized, always sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontDrinkAndDrum

Reaction score
my question is this...if I sanitized something (i.e. hydrometer, carboy, whatever...) used it, and then rinse it out very well or rinse off whatever gets on said item, is there any need to sanitize it again?

also, if I store my carboy upside down while all the rinse water drains out of it, will it stay sanitary?

oh and if i sanitize something days before I know i'm gonna use it (i.e. sanitizing tubing as long as i've got a batch of Easy Clean mixed up) is it going to stay sanitary?

Depends. I've seen suggestions from people, including great brewers like John Palmer from howtobrew.com say that bottles sanitized and then covered with sanitized aluminium foil will stay sanitized until you need them. I keep my carboys with star san solution in them and then just drain it out when I need it. I pour it into another carboy, and that one is ready to go too. Star san can be reused. Idophor solution can't be kept for long periods of time. It loses it's sanitizing power after a few days.

The short answer, I probably can be done, but I wouldn't just trust that some container is perfectly sanitiary if air could get in over a long period of time. I know the star san is still good, and the carboys only get drained when I need them.

Back