Am I the highest brewer in America?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I did some more reading, and it appears that temperature does have a significant effect on the process. Here is an abstract that gives a bit of evidence:

http://ift.confex.com/ift/2004/techprogram/paper_25787.htm

It would be very difficult for the OP to quantify utilization at altitude without a lab. If I were him, I'd make no hop adjustments for the first attempt at any recipe, then use my palate to gauge whether more hops would be an improvement in future brews using the same recipe as a base.

Interesting, I'm at ~7,000 ft and sometimes struggle with bittering hop quantities for IPAs. I had one judged that used 2 oz of Warrior @ 60 minutes with a very simple grain bill and all three judges commented on the lack of bitterness...I never considered altitute affecting utilization; I've just grown accustomed to tossing in more bittering hops than originally planned...

There's another brewery about 45 minutes north of there, in Grand Lake. http://www.grandlakebrewing.com/ I've had some of their bottles; not bad at all. Totally worth the trip, I'm sure.

His place is on the side of a mountain between Tabernash and Grandby, looks like maybe 25 minutes from Grand Lake. Will definitely check that out next time.

I stumbled back across this post tonight and it made me remember that this last December I took the family and visited Estes Park, Co. We stopped at a point where the road was closed and we couldn't go any higher. My GPS unit said we were at 9980 something feet up.

When getting a photo of the family, I had my camera on a tripod, put my camera on self timer and ran across the road to get in the photo. I think it took all my will to not pass out!

Latest posts

Back