Long Secondary - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Long Secondary

Old 09-19-2005, 10:35 PM   #1
cdew4545
Recipes 

Jul 2005

I'm in college and doing some of my first batches of brewing, with extract of course. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't really had time to bottle up the IPA in my secondary fermenter. I was wondering if leaving it in there longer than a week can contaminate it or if it really matters when you bottle it. I also have not opened it up or anything like that since i transfered it from primary if that helps.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Williamsburg, Va
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Leaving it in the secondary for a few extra weeks won't hurt at all...in fact, it should only improve your beer. If we're talking months here, then you get into the glass/plastic oxygenation debate.....but we don't want to go there again do we

Bottom line...a few extra weeks will only help with the aging process.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Columbus, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yup, just what vtfan said. General rule of thumb suggests leaving it secondary for at least 1 - 2 weeks before bottling.

As long as your secondary was "beer clean" when you transfered your beer and have an airlock on it you shouldn't have to worry about any contamination issues (assuming it's air-tight and such.)

Old 09-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #4

No, in fact, I rack to secondary and leave it there for at least two weeks. Sometimes I get too busy and it may be there three, even four weeks. No problems at all!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
3rd and Long

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Austin, TX

I've left beer in the secondary as long as two months. No ill effects except my BAL got pretty close to 0.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

there is a smaller discussion board that I read from time to time, and there is guy on there who actually lets his beers sit in secondary (or occasionally, tertiary) for multiple YEARS before bottling them.

-walker

Old 09-20-2005, 04:48 AM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 40 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
there is a smaller discussion board that I read from time to time, and there is guy on there who actually lets his beers sit in secondary (or occasionally, tertiary) for multiple YEARS before bottling them.

-walker
But Budweiser commercials claim that fresh beer tastes better. Are they lying to me?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:56 AM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

maybe they just mean that fresh BUDWEISER tastes better than month old BUDWEISER.

what does Budweiser have to do with beer anyway?

-walker

Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 AM   #9
strider
Recipes 

Sep 2005
Concord, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker

what does Budweiser have to do with beer anyway?

-walker
Hehehehe... I can't remember if it was this forum I heard this or another, but i'm gonna repeat it anyways. If this forum, all do credit to the originator. Great joke.

What does making love in a canoe and bud have in common?
Nuthing, they're both F*ing close to water.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 AM   #10
SuperBrew
Recipes 

Sep 2005
Waterbury, CT

The guy that works at my local HBS has had a barlewine in a secondary for over 4 YEARS! He told me its still not ready to bottle.

Bottled: Cottage Coffee Stout
Bottled: SuperBrew's Redheaded Stepchild
Bottled: Gingerbread Ale
Drinking: Most anything
Thinking of: Apricot IPA