Weissbier Vixen Weizen Bavarian Hef - 1st place German Wheat 2011 HBT contest - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Weissbier Vixen Weizen Bavarian Hef - 1st place German Wheat 2011 HBT contest

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Cruzn4aBrewzn

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Tualatin, Oregon
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I'm brew'n a 5 gal batch right now! Sounds great and will be my first wheat beer. But I'm using crystal hops in Lou of Hallertau as I have 10 oz and am out of Hallertau. We'll see how it goes!

Speak softly and carry a large beer

Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
Zen_Brew

Recipes 

May 2009
Seattle
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

You should be OK with Crystal. Just try to keep the IBU's under 15 and you should be good. Hops are very subtle in a German Hef.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Cruzn4aBrewzn

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Tualatin, Oregon
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew
You should be OK with Crystal. Just try to keep the IBU's under 15 and you should be good. Hops are very subtle in a German Hef.
Cool, got the IBU's at 10.64 and the first gravity sample tasted great so it should be pretty yummy!

Speak softly and carry a large beer

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Zen_Brew

Recipes 

May 2009
Seattle

Awesome. Now just try to keep the fermentation temp in the 63-65 deg range and you should be golden. Also Hef yeast is an aggressive fermenter, so best to rig a blowoff for the first several days till it calms down.

Cheers

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #15
miggedymike
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Columbus, OH

Looks like a nice recipe. What do you think the # of Munich brings to the party?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
Zen_Brew

Recipes 

May 2009
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggedymike View Post
Looks like a nice recipe. What do you think the # of Munich brings to the party?
Traditionally German brewers performed a decoction mash which among other things served to increase the melanoiden formation in the beer. This lent a slightly richer flavor and maltiness to the beer. The lb of Munich acts to increase the depth of flavor and maltiness in a similar manner. It basically simulates most of the flavors of doing a decoction mash. Some highly refined palates state they can still pick out a beer that has gone through a decoction, but most can not. For that reason the decoction mash, which lends considerable time to the mash process, has mostly fallen by the wayside and brewers add other malts to simulate the effect.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #17
miggedymike
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Columbus, OH

Interesting. I might give that a try on my next Hefe batch to see how perceptible the difference is. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #18
ButcherBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Austin, Texas

Hello,

Could I trouble you for a Partial Extract recipe for this excellent brew? I do not have the equipment just yet to perform a full AG brew. Thanks for your help - I can't wait to brew this award winner!

Bottled - Nope...
Keg: -
#1 Goodnight Sunshine Wheat
#2 Oatmeal Stout
#3 Butcher's Brown Ale
#4 Hoparillo IPA

Plum Creek Brewing

Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
benzy4010
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What scale is your recipe?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
Zen_Brew

Recipes 

May 2009
Seattle

I'm not sure what you mean by what scale is the recipe. The volume is for a 6 gallon batch as I leave a bunch of wort and trub in my boil kettle. The hop bitterness is Tinseth. Did I answer your question?