Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > shadberry / service berry / spring wine

Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
59f100292
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default shadberry / service berry / spring wine

I spoke to my boss at the farm today, and asked what fruit was the first to be harvested in the spring. (trying to figure out what the first batch I could whip up was?) Her answer: shad berry. aka service berry. Apparrently its the first tree to bloom in the spring, (white flowers?) does any one have a recipe for shad berry wine? I've never heard of these berries, but berry wine is berry wine; I'll try it.

While on the topic, what are other early, early spring wines can be made? whats ripe soon? honey suckle? whats an april wine?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They are a favorite of ours when the fruit ripens. You have to act fast, though, because the birds love them, especially the cedar waxwings.

For blossom wines, try forsythia and azalea. Forsythia blossoms when dried and made into tea are quite effective at fighting colds and flu, and some claim that the wine is of good use for women's health. I think they just feel better because it's wine. Seriously, though, it's probably one of the prettiest yellow hues imaginable. That color doesn't always survive fermentation, though. It takes even more forsythia blooms to make wine than dandelion, but fortunately they grow in masses on the bushes so picking is a lot easier. Make up the SG with honey and I think you'll find another favorite! I don't know much about azalea's properties or the wine but I want to make some this spring. I just haven't had a free bucket, pail or carboy in months....

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
59f100292
Recipes 

thanks Ross, good advice. Who else has plans for spring?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
pargettk
Recipes 

Do you have some surplus Shadberries you could send me? I'll pay!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Winepig
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59f100292 View Post
Who else has plans for spring?
We made 3 gallons of rhubarb wine last weekend. It's our first time for this recipe,but if it makes good wine, it'll be the easiest thing I've ever put under an airlock.

I've got 3 gallons of dandelion bubbling away from last weekend too and another gallon in my primary. It's alot more work, but if you like sweet/desert wines, it's really good. I like making it because it's the first thing I ferment after a winter of inactivity.

Tim

Old 05-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I'm going to be starting my first dandelion wine here soon, got the dandelion petals in the freezer. I'm also going to be picking a bunch of lilacs and freezing them to make a wine with as soon as I can.

Another though is jack cellars tulip wine.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
59f100292
Recipes 

ha no surplus - my boss seems to think theyre "everywhere" but i sure can't find em

Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5945 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 1517

I usually only make rhubarb and dandelion wine out of spring fruits and flowers, but I have a huge lilac bush and lilac wine is wonderful.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans