Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Thinking about a kindle but the books are $$$

Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
kornbread
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thinking about a kindle but the books are $$$

My daughter has a Kindle and she loves it. So much so that I've been kind of wanting one of my own. I recently discovered that I could cash in some S&H Greenpoints and get enough in Amazon Gift cards to cover the cost of the unit.

My only hesitation is the cost of the books. I buy most of my books at the used bookstore. ($3 - 4 per paperback) And I occasionally pick up something from the newsstand ($7-10) if I find myself with some time on my hands and nothing to read.

I guess I was assuming that since they don't have to print the books, warehouse the books, package and ship the books, build stores, heat, cool, and light the stores, stock store shelves with books, or pay a cashier to sell and bag the books, then the E-books should, in theory, be cheaper. After all they've eliminated almost all of the overhead and middlemen right???

But, that's not the case at all. From what I can gather the prices of E-books are about the same as full bookstore retail.

I guess you're paying for convince.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4842 Times on 2894 Posts
Likes Given: 4057

Most are slightly cheaper. But some are MORE expensive than the book, especially when the cheap paperback is available and the damned kindle version is still $9.99.

There are a LOT of free books too. Mostly classics, but if you're into that then you won't want for something free to read.

I do like my kindle.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
Benthic
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In my experience (I've only had my Kindle since last Christmas) the Kindle versions of books are the same price or slightly less than the paperback version. But that's the cost of a *new* paperback. If you normally buy books second hand, then you're not really making an "apples to apples" comparison.

Brian

Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just bought a Kindle a month ago. I found lots of books you can read for free. Not anything new though.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #5
JeffB
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Nook Color for me, love it so far.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I got a Kobo wireless from Borders for less than $100 - can use eBook format or pdf. The software is slightly buggy and I'm not real happy about the way it handles pdf's, but despite these flaws I'm finding that I like using an e-Reader. It came with 100 old classics preloaded, and I've downloaded 3 novels from lulu.com in pdf format for $5 each. (Thomas Sherry's "Deep Winter", "Shatter" and "Remnant" - end of the world as we know it type stuff). Lots of other cheap stuff out there in non-Kindle format. If I had it to do over I might spend more money and get a Nook or Sony, but I wanted something cheap to see how I'd like an eReader and wanted to stay away from a proprietary format like Kindle.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Your public library may have ebooks to lend. Mine doesn't support kindle/mobi but I have found conversion programs easily.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I should also add if you are into the dark arts thousands of books are available for download.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6053 Times on 4313 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
Your public library may have ebooks to lend. Mine doesn't support kindle/mobi but I have found conversion programs easily.
My library has tons of books to lend via ebooks, and you can borrow 4 at a time! It is NOT compatible with Kindle, though. It works with other ereaders, like Sony and Nook. They also lend out a Nook, so you can try it. The one I borrowed is buggy, but I'm going to get a new one before I leave for Texas next year.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I bought SWMBO a Nook Color for Christmas and she loves it. She has issues with Rheumatoid Arthritis and has a hard time holding large books and turning pages. The Nook is great for her since it is about a third of the weight of your average Harry Potter book... I can't speak to Kindle books but for the most part, Nook books are on average a bit less than their paper counterparts. One thing that she really likes is the built in dictionary feature where you can highlight any word in the text and look it up.