Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > aerate the wort?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
jjphillybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default aerate the wort?

Making a Northern Brewer Hefeweizen. Their directions say to aerate the wort while the directions from my LHBS make no mention of aerating the wort. What the deal?

Thanx!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
BoisePorter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeast like Oxygen when getting started. Do yourself a favor and aerate the wort. You can do this by shaking the container (with a properly sealed lid), stirring vigorously with a spoon, etc. I do it before pitching the yeast. I've read about people doing it after they pitch the yeast.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 42

aerate the wort! you can probably get away with just shaking the hell out of the carboy or bucket just before or just after you pitch your yeast. a better solution is to use an aquarium pump and diffusion stone. even better, an O2 bottle and diffusion stone but for most occasions just shaking will do.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

The best for the beginner is to just shake the heck out of the carboy/bucket. Here's an article from the Wyeast Labs site. In it is this table.

Method-------------------DO ppm-------Time
Siphon Spray--------------4 ppm-------0 sec.
Splashing & Shaking--------8 ppm-------40 sec.
Aquarium Pump w/ stone---8 ppm-------5 min
Pure Oxygen w/ stone-----0-26ppm-------60 sec (12ppm)

Shaking give you the most O2 for the shortest amount of time without special equipment.

So, shake, shake, shake. Shake, shake, shake. Shake your carboy. Shake your carboy.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
jjphillybrew
Recipes 

Do you shake before or after pitching yeast?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I shake the sh*t out of my wort before pitching the yeast...

And I shake the ever loving hell out of it after pitching the yeast.
Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
D-MOTITAN
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What has been working great for me is pouring the wort back and forth from the kettle to my fermenting bucket. It foams up alot, but i can see airlock activity pronto.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's my aeration method... has worked well for me thus far:

I drain from my kettle to bottling bucket. I have a valve on my kettle so I connect a length of tubing and then shake it while it's pouring into the bucket. This aerates it a bit.

Then, I place the bottling bucket above the carboy (I use my burner since it's entirely cool by then... but you could use anything... like a chair or whatever). The valve is just barely inside the carboy at this point and then I open the valve partially to let the wort "splatter" into the carboy. This takes a while as the wort doesn't come out very fast, but it aerates the hell out of it, so it's a super easy method. I just set and forget it.

I cool wort to 80ish and by the time this process is complete, I'm right at 70-72.

On Tap - The Tunguska Event, Cream Ale
On Tap - Devastated Sky, CDA
On Tap - Fallow Fields, Autumn Ale
On Tap - East Creek Sour Wheat, Sour Wheat Ale
Fermenting - Nothing :(

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I usually use a wal-mart metal strainer (not super fine) inside of a funnel. This helps catch some of the leftover nasty hops and other stuff that may make their way out of the kettle following the cold-break. In addition to the strainer and funnel, I always give the caryboy 60 shakes by rocking it on my legs sitting in a chair....much less work than holding it and shaking 5.25 gallons of wort!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by byproxy View Post
Here's my aeration method... has worked well for me thus far:

I drain from my kettle to bottling bucket. I have a valve on my kettle so I connect a length of tubing and then shake it while it's pouring into the bucket. This aerates it a bit.

Then, I place the bottling bucket above the carboy (I use my burner since it's entirely cool by then... but you could use anything... like a chair or whatever). The valve is just barely inside the carboy at this point and then I open the valve partially to let the wort "splatter" into the carboy. This takes a while as the wort doesn't come out very fast, but it aerates the hell out of it, so it's a super easy method. I just set and forget it.

I cool wort to 80ish and by the time this process is complete, I'm right at 70-72.
that's pretty much what I do. a short peice of hose from my kettle valve to the bucket and let er rip, plus it cools down a few degrees also.