Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Looking for Kona Big Wave Golden Ale Clone

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
HIlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
Well? Any update? I was just out there and really fell in love with the draft version - great tropical hop character - I'm surprised they dont list something like citra or the like. The bottled version loses a lot of this tropical character. I say this because at our hotel one bar had the kegged version - the other only bottles and there was a notable diference. Given that this was all in HI, there was no travel issues for the bottles.
Their bottles all come from widmer and someone on the east coast (craft brewers alliance or whatever it's called). The draft on the islands is 100% from their small brewery on kona (~20 bbl I think), and it's definitely best at the brew pub followed by draft and then bottles. They use citra now but the original recipe was brewed before citra was available, so I don't know when they changed it.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIlife

Their bottles all come from widmer and someone on the east coast (craft brewers alliance or whatever it's called). The draft on the islands is 100% from their small brewery on kona (~20 bbl I think), and it's definitely best at the brew pub followed by draft and then bottles. They use citra now but the original recipe was brewed before citra was available, so I don't know when they changed it.
Thanks for the info! Wish I could've tasted it straight from the pub!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
trujunglist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I just bought some more Big Wave, this time not from the same store (Vons), but from BevMo. After I bought it, I cracked one open and noticed that the flavor wasn't there. Not much fruit at all and kind of boring. Checked the bottling date and indeed, it was bottled October 1, 2012. The other ones were all bottled within the month, and the most recent ones I bought from the other store were only a week and a half old. Now I have a bunch of flavorless Big Wave to drink...