Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB as easy as I can make it.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
timbudtwo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotpoodle View Post
I squeeze the bejebus out of it.

And i get 85% efficiency.
Holy crap. I get close to 80 sometimes. You should try brewing swmbo slayer

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Centennial Blonde, POB Saphir Lager
Tapped: English Cider, Citra Pale Ale

Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
c_osbourn
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sounds easy enough

Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1160 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_osbourn View Post
sounds easy enough
That's because it is. I've done quite a few now and the biggest factor is getting and keeping the mash temperature in range. I use an online calculator to determine my strike temp, stir in the grains that have been crushed or ground quite fine, put the lid on and wrap the whole pot with something that will insulate it. In 15 to 20 minutes I can see the effects of conversion as the wort goes from cloudy with starches to clear but I still give my mash a full hour. Pull the bag out and squeeze out all the wort I can, perhaps rinse (sparge) it with more water and then start the boil.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts

Everybody has their opinion, here's mine.

1. Voile bag. Go to wal mart and buy a slider sized rod pocket curtain. Cut it in half and sew the 2 open sides. Yougbet 2 bags, and as a bonus the top and bottom hems act as a pocket for the drawstring. Sew the middle of the draw string to the bag. I wish I had. I used 1/2" cotton webbing.

2. After the mash I pull the bag and let it hang to drip. Then I place a new BBQ grille over my fermenter, place a small rubbermaid tote bin ( 9" x 18") with the bottom cut out on top of it on the grille, and set the bag in the bottomless tote while i fire the kettle. Then put on a pair of rubber gloves and squeeze the grain bag like it owes me beer.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
bigdongsr94
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like the curtain idea. I just used a nylon mesh from walmart sewn with nylon tread. The thing I would like to add is I did not stitch the bottom closed. I use a zip tie every brew and close the bottom up tight. This allows me to dump the grain cut the tie and rinse the husks down and fabric and out. I do this with the fabric lining the inside of a bucket so I can spray it out and pull the bag up as I go. Note: I tested my zip ties first in boiling water and also this method cuts your stitching in half and that was a benefit for me.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I do the no sparge as well because it is the easiest and least messy way to go. I also squeeze the bag to get all the lovely wort out that I can.

That said, question for all you bag squeezers: how do you squeeze your bag? The wort is pretty hot making it difficult to straight up squeeze it. I usually hang it in a colander and try to press it down with a spatula. I've heard some people use thicker rubber gloves.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
That said, question for all you bag squeezers: how do you squeeze your bag? The wort is pretty hot making it difficult to straight up squeeze it. I usually hang it in a colander and try to press it down with a spatula. I've heard some people use thicker rubber gloves.
I use a spare bucket and turn a colander upside down at the bottom of the bucket. I then set the bag on the colander and use a lid from a saucepan to squeeze down on the bag. Usually get about a little less than a gallon doing this...

Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 858 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Voile curtain as stated above, fold and triple stitch closed as shown in my avatar...works a treat!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
I do the no sparge as well because it is the easiest and least messy way to go. I also squeeze the bag to get all the lovely wort out that I can.

I squeeze gently, and I wear cheap vinyl gloves so I can stand the heat a bit longer, but honestly, if it sits above the pot long enough it pretty much squeezes itself.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1160 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Quote:

If you don't mind the extra cleanup, dunk that bag in cold water. It won't dissolve as much sugar as hot but it is a bunch easier to squeeze the water back out and along with that water comes most of the sugar. Dunk and drain it a couple times even.