Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help Me Brew Yuengling

Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
ere109
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Help Me Brew Yuengling

To start, I'm from Pennsylvania and love the taste of Yuengling lager. I did a massive search, and came across several posts on several forums claiming to be "Yuengling," so I grabbed them all, made up a spreadsheet, and am trying to piece together a single recipe. (I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet of "other" recipes for anyone who's interested.)
My research revealed that the beer is made using 6-row, corn grits, Crystal 60 (Briess 60L) and German lager yeast, and resulting IBU's are around 17.

This will be my first all-grain batch, and also my first attempt at lagering. I'm a little nervous, and would be happy to listen to suggestions.

RECIPE:
3 lbs. 6-Row
3 lbs. 2-Row
1 lbs. Cara-Pils
1 lbs. Corn Grits
.5 lbs. Crystal 60
.5 oz. Northern Brewer
.25 oz. Tettnanger
Wyeast 2035

There were some conflicts in the steeping instructions. One suggested 150 degrees, the other 158. I was going to shoot for the old standard - 153 degrees - for 90 minutes. I couldn't tell if it wanted me to add the corn grits during the boil, or after removing the grain during the mashing process.
Next, I've got questions about the lager process. One instruction said 50 degrees for seven days, "Drycetel rest" for 2 days, then rack to carboy and lower the temp four degrees per day until it hits 30 degrees, then hold it for four more weeks.
Another recipe just said seven days at 68 degrees, 14 days at 65 degrees.

I'd like to do this batch in about two weeks, so thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I made this beer a few years ago following this recipe:
8# 2 row
3/4 # flaked maize
1/2 # 80 crystal
6 oz black malt
1/2 oz Cluster - bittering
1/2 oz Cascade - bittering
1/2 oz Cascade - flavor

Wyeast 2308

Mashing at 153 will be just fine. Add the grits/maize for the mash. As for the lagering phase, primary ferment at about 45 or so until your hydrometer says it is about 2/3 done, give or take. Then, remove from the fridge and allow to warm to room temp for your diacetyl rest. This will take about 4 days. Then, rack and cool about a degree or 2 per day and lager at about 35 until you can't take it any longer. Warm to room temp and package. Let age for about a month, then enjoy.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
ere109
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok. So it sounds like this recipe takes about three months. I'm hoping to have it for a party in August, so that should work.
Any recommendations on yeast? One page suggested smacking yeast four days before brewing and using yeast starter. I've never done either of those. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
SnallygasterBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

A clean lager yeast with a healthy starter (lager starters are usually about double the amount of ale starters) and good temperature control will be your best bets. Also, don't freak out during fermentation when it's not as explosive as ales you've brewed -- at colder temperatures the gases are more reluctant to leave the liquid and bubble out so it'll look much tamer.

Not knocking what you're trying to do, but out of curiosity what made you want to brew Yuengling even though it's cheap to buy off the shelf? Again, not knocking... just curious.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm guessing it's because he grew up with tasty "Lager" and now lives outside the distribution area and is really craving it! I'm in the same boat and coincidentally it's next on my list too now that I've got my fermentation chamber up and running. I'm going to use the "Pottsville Common" recipe with a few changes -- it looks similar. I'll keep my eye on this thread and post how mine turns out.

Reason: Added URL

Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
ere109
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yes, I grew up in PA, but now live in Denver, and Yuengling isn't available off the East Coast. I'll keep everyone informed as I brew this, and if it is a success, I'll definitely share the recipe. I'm going to have to do a search for "Pottsville Common."

Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ere109 View Post
To start, I'm from Pennsylvania and love the taste of Yuengling lager. I did a massive search, and came across several posts on several forums claiming to be "Yuengling," so I grabbed them all, made up a spreadsheet, and am trying to piece together a single recipe. (I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet of "other" recipes for anyone who's interested.)
My research revealed that the beer is made using 6-row, corn grits, Crystal 60 (Briess 60L) and German lager yeast, and resulting IBU's are around 17.

This will be my first all-grain batch, and also my first attempt at lagering. I'm a little nervous, and would be happy to listen to suggestions.

RECIPE:
3 lbs. 6-Row
3 lbs. 2-Row
1 lbs. Cara-Pils
1 lbs. Corn Grits
.5 lbs. Crystal 60
.5 oz. Northern Brewer
.25 oz. Tettnanger
Wyeast 2035

There were some conflicts in the steeping instructions. One suggested 150 degrees, the other 158. I was going to shoot for the old standard - 153 degrees - for 90 minutes. I couldn't tell if it wanted me to add the corn grits during the boil, or after removing the grain during the mashing process.
Next, I've got questions about the lager process. One instruction said 50 degrees for seven days, "Drycetel rest" for 2 days, then rack to carboy and lower the temp four degrees per day until it hits 30 degrees, then hold it for four more weeks.
Another recipe just said seven days at 68 degrees, 14 days at 65 degrees.

I'd like to do this batch in about two weeks, so thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Suggestions: Yuengling uses Cluster and Cascade for hops and from what I hear the Cascades are the bittering addition. The corn percentage is also pretty high, probably 40% or so. Not saying you should use that much corn but something like 25% will get you into that lighter style and still leave some malt flavor. As far as corn goes I would recommend using flaked maize. They do not have to be cooked like grits or meal, just mix them in with your other grains and mash away. Take your eight pound grain bill and try something like this:

5 lbs 2-row and/or 6-row
2 lbs flaked maize
.5 lb CaraPils
.5 lb Crystal 60L

3/4 oz Cascade @ 60 minutes
1/4 ox Cluster @ 20 minutes

My suggestions on yeasts would be Wyeast 2042 or 2035.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
ere109
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the extra info. I guess the bottom line is that there are 10,000 ingredients and just as many combinations, and the best thing to do is to try one and see what happens. I've definitely taken some of your advice, and have changed out my hops. I'll go pick it all up soon.
My next question: what about "smacking" the yeast? I was just planning to use yeast tubes. Is it advisable to prep the yeast before going into lager?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
hadabar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this was the beer that got me into beer... it wasn't yellow and had flavor. if I get lagering abilities, I'll still just buy it. $10 a 12pk. I think I'll have one now.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #10
ere109
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, I've done some more research tonight, and am going to try cold fermentation with a one gallon wort/yeast starter. So I'll extract one gallon on brew day, start my yeast in that while the wort chills in the fridge, then combine the two.
Is aerating the beer on the second day (before adding the yeast starter) a problem?

What sort of aerator does everyone prefer? (I've been trying to google 2-micron air stones on Amazon with no luck).