Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > yeast/carbonation drop

Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
jjphillybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast/carbonation drop

I see on Northern Brewer's website the option to upgrade from dry to liquid yeast. Are there certain styles that benefit from doing this or is this simply a matter of preference?

Same question about cooper's carbonation drops vs priming sugar. My first batch I used the priming sugar that came in the kit but I didn't mix it well enough so my bottles are unevenly carbed. What's the deal with the carb drops?

Thanx

Old 04-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

1) I have found that a lot of new brewers especially, THINK they HAVE to use liquid yeast, but in reality most ales can be made with Notty, Windsor, Us-05, Us-04 and many lagers with basic Saflager.....7-8 bucks a pop for liquid as opposed to $1.50-2.50 for dry, with more cell count, is imho just a waste of money for the majority of a brewer's recipe bank...most commercial ales us a limited range of strains, and those liquid strains are really the same strains that the afore mentioned dry strains cover, for example Us-05 is the famed "Chico strain", so if you are paying 7-8 bucks for Wyeast 1056 American/Chico Ale Yeast, and you STILL have to make a starter to have enough viable cells, then you are ripping yourself off, in terms of time and money....

I use dry yeast for 99% of my beers, for basic ales I use safale 05, for more british styles I us safale 04 and for basic lagers I use saflager..

The only time I use liquid yeast is if I am making a beer where the yeast drives the style, where certain flavor characteristics are derived from the yeast, such as phenols. Like Belgian beers, where you get spicy/peppery flavors from the yeast and higher temp fermentation. Or let's say a wheat beer (needing a lowly flocculant yest) or a Kholsch, where the style of the beer uses a specific yeast strain that is un available in dry form.

But if you are looking for a "clean" yeast profile, meaning about 90% of american ales, the 05, or nottingham is the way to go. Need "Bready" or yeasty for English ales, then 04 or windsor. Want a clean, low profile lager yeast- saflager usually does the trick.

2) Some folks find that cooper's drops take longer, and leave more junk in the bottle than bulk priming. I like bulk priming for the control. The drops have their followers and their detractors. It works, but you'll have to decide how good they work.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
AtlantaBeerBrewing
Recipes 

I personally use Danstar's Nottingham whenever I'm doing something that doesn't require a distinct yeast profile. On the other hand if I'm doing a German Hefe or Belgian style I will always go with a liquid yeast, usually a White Labs variety. As far as the carb drops vs. corn sugar issue, I always recommend using sugar over the drops. I use 3oz-4.5oz's depending on what style I'm brewing and how much carbonation I desire. Carbonation drops are merely measured amounts of fermentable sugar, and I find using a measure weight of corn sugar is the best way to achieve the desired results. Go to your local head shop and buy a cheap 500.0x gr pocket scale. I use mine for everything from hop weight, grains, starter cultures, ect. Cheers!