Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cinnalasses Cyser

Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Conr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cinnalasses Cyser

Ok so i got my first brew going. I decided to start my cyser first. Just kinda threw some stuff together.
5 gal Tree top apple juice
12 lbs wildflower honey
6 oz molasses
8 cinnamon sticks
Red star champagne yeast
yeast nutrient

the cinnamon sticks where steeped in 6 cups warm (145 degree) apple juice, for 30 min. Stick where removed and molasses mixed in. then the juice, cinnamom/molasses mixture and honey where combined in the fermenter. Once the honey was nicely dissolved i pitched the yeast and let it work. will keep updates going.
OG was 1.118
what are your thoughts?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
toolboxdiver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conr View Post
Ok so i got my first brew going. I decided to start my cyser first. Just kinda threw some stuff together.
5 gal Tree top apple juice
12 lbs wildflower honey
6 oz molasses
8 cinnamon sticks
Red star champagne yeast
yeast nutrient

the cinnamon sticks where steeped in 6 cups warm (145 degree) apple juice, for 30 min. Stick where removed and molasses mixed in. then the juice, cinnamom/molasses mixture and honey where combined in the fermenter. Once the honey was nicely dissolved i pitched the yeast and let it work. will keep updates going.
OG was 1.118
what are your thoughts?
sounds interesting please let us know how it turns out, I use honey and brown sugar with mulling spices and it is awesome

Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Conr
Recipes 

originally it was going to just be cinnamon but I had me some pancakes with a homemade syrup (made with a molasses blend) for breakfast. That had my mouth thinkin about the rich flavor that molasses could impart. didnt want to use a bunch of it though cause its a pretty strong flavor and didnt want it to overpower the rest.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Daedolon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What's your recipe for the mulling spices? I got a bad Christmas gift (thanks Aunt!) and need to use some mulling spices up. A mead sounds like a very good solution to this situation.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
toolboxdiver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedolon View Post
What's your recipe for the mulling spices? I got a bad Christmas gift (thanks Aunt!) and need to use some mulling spices up. A mead sounds like a very good solution to this situation.
1tsp nutmeg
1tsp allspice
1tsp ginger
2tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
all ground and steeped with equal parts honey and water cool before adding to must