So this is my 3rd batch. (I love beer). When I was done follow the Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout recipe in 200 recipes. I had an OG reading of like 1.080. Wow, I thought, that blows, since it should be 1.052. Here are some possible things that I may have messed up.
- I may have roasted the flaked oats too long?
- I used 7.19 lbs of light LME instead of the DME called for (5.75).
- I didn't (at first) use the recommended 5 1/8 gallon of water (I used 5 gallons)
- My OG was taken at 64F degrees.
- My sparging method was pretty crap (I'll spare you the details) the grains + roasted oats were added at about 142F then brought up to 156F and let to sit off the heat for 20 minutes. (Yeah I know I said I followed the recipe but I thought I could do some mind math).
After adding 1/8 gallon of water, I got the OG to 1.062 still off about .010 whatever the units are. Any ideas here where I might have gone wrong?
Thanks, trying to make a flavorful beer that isn't crazy high in alcohol... I fail again.