Sanitizing - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sanitizing

Old 11-05-2004, 05:30 AM   #11
Oct 2004

Originally Posted by sweepking
Hello all, new guy here. I figured this would be as good a place as any to jump in. I use One Step and have had no problems with it. Very easy and doesn't stain things the way Iodophor can.
Recently I have been using Clorox Oxi Magic for my sanitizing with no problems. In the research that I have done, I don't think there is any difference between it and One Step and you can get it a lot easier and cheaper.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
Nov 2004
Harrisburg, PA

I just joined the forum, but I've been brewing for about 10 years. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Up until Saturday, I hadn't brewed in almost 2 years (20 months to be exact....I know, shame on me!). I use glass carboys for both primary & secondary fermentation. My glass carboys had been sitting in the basement for 20 months with an iodophor/water sanitizing solution in them. They were sealed with plastic wrap and a rubber band.

In my opinion, they're sanitized, right? I hope so....My "Better-'n-Haggis" Scottish Ale has been in the primary since Saturday. The carboy had that sterile smell to it. I did clean off all the dust from the exterior of the carboy and spray some sanitizer on the outside.

I guess time will tell. I'm going to transfer to the secondary in a few days and am thinking the other carboy must also be sanitized after all this time. I mean, does it lose potency? Should I have re-sanitized. I'll let you know how I make out, but would appreciate any input some of you may have.

It feels good to be back at the kettle!

Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM   #13
The Professor
Nov 2004
West Jordan, UT

If the containers were airtight then they should still be sanitized even if the iodiphor lost its potency. But it may be worth re-sanitizing just for piece of mind. If the primary doesn't get infected (which I doubt it will) then the secondary would be even less likely due to the alcohol/yeast content of your beer. But why take a chance?

Old 12-02-2004, 02:57 AM   #14
Ken Powers
Nov 2004
Tacoma, Washington

I, for one, am a great fan of Iodophor as a sanitizer. It doesn't require rinsing if used in the proper proportions. Bleach, even after rinsing, can leave aftertastes if not rinsed very, very well.

As for cleaners, I really like Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW). It is easy to use and does the job very well.
Ken Powers