What I Learned Today About When to Bottle - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What I Learned Today About When to Bottle
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
PaulTheGhost
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 83
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Don't go by bubble activity or airlock activity.
TAKE HYDROMETER READINGS.
I have an oatmeal stout in my secondary right now. It's been in the secondary for three weeks. Bubbles have been drifting into the neck, but three days ago I took a gravity reading: 1.023. Today, I took a gravity reading: 1.023. I'm thinking it's been ready to bottle for about a week now.

You think the beer's finished? Take a hydrometer reading. Wait two to three days and take another one. If it didn't drop, then it's ready to go.

The more you know.


__________________
Fermenting:
Joe's Quick Grape Mead
Lagunitas IPA

Conditioning/Aging:
Ed's Sparkling Apfelwein
SN's Ovila Dubbel
Oatmeal Stout

Drinking:
Filmfestspiele Altbier
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Dwarven Ale
Sweet Christmas Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,943
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


You forgot the important taste test before bottling step... That will tell you when it's really ready to go into bottles/keg... Having hit the FG just means fermentation is complete, not that it's ready for bottles/drinking...


__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
TTB-J
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Houston, TX
Posts: 589
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You forgot the important taste test before bottling step... That will tell you when it's really ready to go into bottles/keg... Having hit the FG just means fermentation is complete, not that it's ready for bottles/drinking...
A-friggin'-men.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Hang Glider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Posts: 3,200
Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTheGhost View Post
...I have an oatmeal stout in my secondary right now. It's been in the secondary for three weeks... I'm thinking it's been ready to bottle for about a week now.

While it might be done fermenting, it's enjoying the benefit of you being patient and conditioning itself - it's not a bad thing. Bigger beers, longer times. I keep porters and stouts 6-8 weeks in the fermenter before I consider moving them.

pale ales and wheats - yeah, move 'em on out and carb 'em up. Oatmeal Stout? you're doing just fine - don't rush to bottle. maybe even leave it a bit longer -

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Upstate, NY
Posts: 159
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
While it might be done fermenting, it's enjoying the benefit of you being patient and conditioning itself - it's not a bad thing. Bigger beers, longer times. I keep porters and stouts 6-8 weeks in the fermenter before I consider moving them.

pale ales and wheats - yeah, move 'em on out and carb 'em up. Oatmeal Stout? you're doing just fine - don't rush to bottle. maybe even leave it a bit longer -
I'm curious, what is the advantage of conditioning in a carboy over conditioning in a bottle?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Hang Glider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Posts: 3,200
Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts


probably none. I like to think my beer is happy when it's all sitting together in a tank. Cask Conditioning really refers to an oak cask, but it is commonly used in this sense. It keeps flavors blending - and more volume than 12 or 22 ounces to mix with. So, over time, any off flavors, hop profiles, sweetness - has more of a chance to even out while the beer is in contact with 4 3/4 other gallons instead of a few ounces.

While it's just my personal experience - my beers are much better now that I do the following:

1) pitch sufficient yeast
2) fermentation temp control
3) patience in the fermenter - 6 weeks average

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
PaulTheGhost
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 83
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
probably none. I like to think my beer is happy when it's all sitting together in a tank. Cask Conditioning really refers to an oak cask, but it is commonly used in this sense. It keeps flavors blending - and more volume than 12 or 22 ounces to mix with. So, over time, any off flavors, hop profiles, sweetness - has more of a chance to even out while the beer is in contact with 4 3/4 other gallons instead of a few ounces.

While it's just my personal experience - my beers are much better now that I do the following:

1) pitch sufficient yeast
2) fermentation temp control
3) patience in the fermenter - 6 weeks average
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Well I pitched 1 smack pack of wyeast 1968 on March 8th, so it's been almost 5.5 weeks.

I'm mostly impatient because I really want to get it out of there so I can get my altbier into the secondary so I can dry hop it before I bottle. Although going another week or so in the primary won't hurt anything I suppose.

I'm just anxious to get my pipeline flowing again.
__________________
Fermenting:
Joe's Quick Grape Mead
Lagunitas IPA

Conditioning/Aging:
Ed's Sparkling Apfelwein
SN's Ovila Dubbel
Oatmeal Stout

Drinking:
Filmfestspiele Altbier
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Dwarven Ale
Sweet Christmas Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,943
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Dry hop in primary... Plenty of people do it without any issue. I did it with my ESB that's now in bottles... If you were planning on washing that yeast cake, just means you could have more trub to remove... If not, then NBD...
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Krrazy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Bigger beers, longer times. I keep porters and stouts 6-8 weeks in the fermenter before I consider moving them.

pale ales and wheats - yeah, move 'em on out and carb 'em up. Oatmeal Stout? you're doing just fine - don't rush to bottle. maybe even leave it a bit longer -
I've been curious about aging stouts longer as I've seen that on other posts before -- when you say "bigger beers..porters and stouts" are you referring to imperial stouts as opposed to dry stouts (which I would consider not big by gravity)...or do you consider big beers to be big in flavor/roastiness as well and treat them like high gravity beers?

Thanks for the perspective! Mmmm stouts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
PaulTheGhost
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 83
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I think what Hang Glider was saying is that beers with lots of unmodified malts like chocolate malt or black patent would benefit from staying in the fermenter longer, where beers like pale ales (almost 90% 2 row) don't need the aging to allow their flavors to meld as much.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to give out false information.


__________________
Fermenting:
Joe's Quick Grape Mead
Lagunitas IPA

Conditioning/Aging:
Ed's Sparkling Apfelwein
SN's Ovila Dubbel
Oatmeal Stout

Drinking:
Filmfestspiele Altbier
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Dwarven Ale
Sweet Christmas Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand New as of today...Learned another lesson :( toestothesun Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 04-07-2011 10:10 PM
Learned my first beginner lesson today RiseAgainstMe Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 02-10-2011 12:32 AM
I learned a valuable lesson today..... Nooby Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 01-25-2009 03:42 PM
Learned my 1st lesson today Madcap Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 01-10-2009 01:58 AM
First ever batch is in the bottle - lessons learned EBSDallas Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 03-11-2006 10:34 PM


Forum Jump