National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - Wanted: Looking for cheap laser cutting & forming

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Yavid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default For Sale - Wanted: Looking for cheap laser cutting & forming

I'd like to get some parts laser cut and formed for making 3 stainless steel burner mounts/wind screens for a brew stand I am working on. Didn't expect them to be cheap but I was shocked at how much they are going to cost locally. Just wondering if anyone out there has access to this equipment and might be willing to do a small job on the side. I will of course pay for materials and kick in something for labor.

I'd really like to horse-trade some CAD work in exchange for the cutting and forming. I am a CADD Technologist with 6 years of experience. I am proficient in both AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor. I work in the industrial sector but I often design things on the side for friends. I can currently trade CAD work for welding and machining with people I know but so far have been unable to find anyone willing to trade CAD for laser cutting in forming. Thought I'd give this site a shot.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Gunner5360
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can try Ballistic Fabrication in Az. They mainly deal with Off-road vehicle parts , but do custom parts ad well and are very fair on pricing

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/

Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Yavid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I just sent them an email. We'll see what they say. I have a feeling it's still going to be too costly but who knows?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
ratfarmer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner5360 View Post
You can try Ballistic Fabrication in Az.
I was going to recommend them also!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
mikemoss
Recipes 

What forming is needed? I have access to a cnc plasma but we dont have much in the way of forming tools.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
NebraskaBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavid View Post
I'd like to get some parts laser cut and formed for making 3 stainless steel burner mounts/wind screens for a brew stand I am working on. Didn't expect them to be cheap but I was shocked at how much they are going to cost locally. Just wondering if anyone out there has access to this equipment and might be willing to do a small job on the side. I will of course pay for materials and kick in something for labor.

I'd really like to horse-trade some CAD work in exchange for the cutting and forming. I am a CADD Technologist with 6 years of experience. I am proficient in both AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor. I work in the industrial sector but I often design things on the side for friends. I can currently trade CAD work for welding and machining with people I know but so far have been unable to find anyone willing to trade CAD for laser cutting in forming. Thought I'd give this site a shot.
I'm curious, what kind of price were you quoted? I'm sure you already know, but a new laser cutting machine sells for between $600K up to 1M plus, not to mention the building and people. Even a small amount of access can cost serious $ as you found out.

That said, I'd like to help out a fellow home brewer, shoot me the cad files & I'll let you know what it takes.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Gunner5360
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So did they come back with a quote?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Yavid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No. He emailed me back to say that they couldn't roll one of the parts that I needed rolled. I revised the part so that it was an octagon instead and sent it back to them but haven't heard anything since.