Ordered my ingredients! /Equipment Checklist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Well I finally ordered my ingredients today! I ordered the Big River Brown Ale from midwest supplies. If it's okay, I'd like to brush over what equipment I have now, and make sure I don't leave anything out once I start brewing this.

I have the Brewing Starter Kit from midwest supplies. All items are listed on this page.

-I also have a 3 gallon kettle to brew in.

-I have a stainless steal thermometer

-I have a turkey frier that my parents are letting me use

-I will give the hot wort an ice bath

-I ordered some One Step for sanitizing (although this is debatable)

Hmm, I believe that's all I have. I am thinking about ordering a Wine Theif for samples for the hydrometer. Would you guys recommend any additional equipment? I hear a lot about back up yeast incase of suspension. Should I put that on order as well?

If you feel I need anything else, let me know!!! The last thing I want is to start brewing, and not have something. Thanks guys

long spoon to stir?
extra towels?
hot pads? (yeah sounds stupid but I always forget them)

You can forget about the wine thief, your hoses work just as well if not better.
Extra yeast cant hurt . . . and I would recomend your next purchase being stuff to make starters with (shut up you guys, yeah you converted me)

oh and a spray bottle full of sanatizer is always nice, can get a spray bottle at the hardware store for like $1

**EDIT**
and if ya dont have bottles yet start looking now
also I recomend buying unmarked caps so you can mark them . . . My wife got me some marked caps not I have 2 batches that I cant tell WTF they are until I open them

Pumbaa said:
long spoon to stir?
extra towels?
hot pads? (yeah sounds stupid but I always forget them)

You can forget about the wine thief, your hoses work just as well if not better.
Extra yeast cant hurt . . . and I would recomend your next purchase being stuff to make starters with (shut up you guys, yeah you converted me)

oh and a spray bottle full of sanatizer is always nice, can get a spray bottle at the hardware store for like $1

**EDIT**
and if ya dont have bottles yet start looking now
also I recomend buying unmarked caps so you can mark them . . . My wife got me some marked caps not I have 2 batches that I cant tell WTF they are until I open them

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that spoon lol. Extra towels for clean up?? Also, what do I need hot pads for?

Hot pads for picking up your hot pot - lol

Also, if you get a sprayer for sanitizer, get another one for water - AND MARK THEM!

The water spray is really nice for preventing boil-overs

Ahh ok thanks. I was thinking of hot pads as in toasty toes.. I was wondering what in the hell would I do with those, lol!! I have some, but I should probably get some better ones. Thanks again!

Back