I need a single PID, single element diagram - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > I need a single PID, single element diagram

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
GRHunter
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Michigan
Posts: 564
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts



I need a wiring diagram for a single PID controlling a single 240v heating element. I've been surfing the Internet and have found some that are almost what I need, but not quite. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.


__________________
Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer.
It's a lot like recreation league softball.

cank Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHunter View Post
I need a wiring diagram for a single PID controlling a single 240v heating element. I've been surfing the Internet and have found some that are almost what I need, but not quite. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tell me what you want and I'll draw it for you.
I've posted a few diagrams here. Perhaps one of 'em might be close?

P-J



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
GRHunter
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Michigan
Posts: 564
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


I need a wiring diagram for a system with just a single PID (Auber SYL-2352) controlling a single 240 volt 5500 watt heating element (Camco #02963 ultra low watt density RIPP element). Initially I just want a very basic setup. It will be a single kettle that I will use as both my HLT and BK. So just the ability to heat my strike water and to boil my wort. If you can dig up a diagram that would be great, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Tell me what you want and I'll draw it for you.
I've posted a few diagrams here. Perhaps one of 'em might be close?

P-J
__________________
Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer.
It's a lot like recreation league softball.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


I suggest that you use this diagram:Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30c.jpg
It is setup for a HLT and Boil kettle. You can use it as is - but - just don't set up the HLT outlet and its wiring from the DPDT switch. I suggest that you use the switch in any case as it will provide a positive disconnect for the heating element and if you add a HLT later on, you don't have to replace the switch.

BTW: The whole setup will fit in the Auberins Project Box

Please let me know if this is ok or if you want something added/changed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
GRHunter
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Michigan
Posts: 564
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Does this whole setup fit in the Project Box? If it does, it might actually be better than what I was looking for. I just want one PID and one element working initially, but I would like to move in to a dual element design with pumps as the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I suggest that you use this diagram:Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30c.jpg
It is setup for a HLT and Boil kettle. You can use it as is - but - just don't set up the HLT outlet and its wiring from the DPDT switch. I suggest that you use the switch in any case as it will provide a positive disconnect for the heating element and if you add a HLT later on, you don't have to replace the switch.

BTW: The whole setup will fit in the Auberins Project Box

Please let me know if this is ok or if you want something added/changed.
__________________
Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer.
It's a lot like recreation league softball.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHunter View Post
Does this whole setup fit in the Project Box? If it does, it might actually be better than what I was looking for. I just want one PID and one element working initially, but I would like to move in to a dual element design with pumps as the next step.
I believe it will fit as long as you are using a single PID.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
wilceaser
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Southeastern PA
Posts: 228
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


PJ would it possible to run a temp prob just for the HLT?
__________________
Howling Beagle Farmhouse Brewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
- You can't trigger an SSR with 120 volts - You'll let the smoke out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilceaser View Post
PJ would it possible to run a temp prob just for the HLT?
The HLT is the place where you would want to control the temperature so it's where the probe would normally go. No need for one in the boil kettle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
jhollist
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Wakefield, RI
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


These are pretty close to what I was hoping to get done as well.

I am wanting a schematic for a BIAB system (much like what you are asking for, I believe, GRHunter). The MLT/and Boil Kettle would be the same vessel, thus a single element and PID. Only thing missing on the schematics you posted, P-J is the wiring of the temp probe.

Do you have something like that worked up?

Cheers,
Jeff

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
jhollist
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Wakefield, RI
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I took some liberties with your diagram P/J in irfanview. Keep in mind that I am know very little about electrical, but I feel I know enough to merely delete stuff!

Would this be an acceptable set-up for a PID controlled BIAB setup?




rayf Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone check my Diagram? magnj Electric Brewing 50 01-16-2012 02:00 PM
RIMS Diagram? BrewinBuckeye Electric Brewing 1 03-25-2011 08:17 PM
Need help with my electrical diagram!!! Gabrew Electric Brewing 208 03-05-2011 02:10 AM
Why only a single gfci main supply, but no individual circuit protection??? MonkeyWrench Electric Brewing 16 11-15-2010 04:56 AM
Wiring diagram advice frank551 Electric Brewing 6 10-19-2010 01:56 PM


Forum Jump