I made this beer a month or so ago with no crystal malt, a single infusion at 150F or so for 1-1.5 hours, and a Willamette sub for Fuggles. It was a bit of imperfect brew day as somehow chose to move the 5 minute addition to 20 minutes and the flameout addition to 5 minutes in place of the hot whirlpool/hopback or what Jamil recommends. I also used Wyeast's 1882 Thames Valley II yeast, which would bring more character to the beer than the rather neutral Nottingham strain the brewery uses. Also, I made my own invert sugar with demerara but got a bit darker than I wanted...the beer is a nice orange/amber color but has some haze, which might be the Maris Otter I'm using. Hmm, seems to be a lot of changes here!
Meantime's brewer also noted they dryhop the beer, which is not noted in the recipe, nor did I perform it for my version. I don't have it in front of me but its equal portions of Fuggles and EKG, for about 1.5 oz for the 6 gallon batch size.
Granted, my version is rather different from Eric's post but it should be in the same ballpark. I clearly do not get the utilization in either the FWH or finishing hops that Meantime reports (~20%) - my beer lacks the bitterness of an IPA (Meantime reports a targeted 75 IBU). I've never had the commercial version but it seems the hop presence just isn't in my beer, so a dryhop definitely would help. That's the take home message.
I fermented the beer for two weeks then bottled. This was the only IPA (3rd) in a series of four consecutive that I had a diacetyl note. It has since been cleaned out after conditioning in the bottle. I'm wondering if the simple sugar has anything to do with that.
The recipe is process dependent and it just didn't scale well on my system. That said, it's very drinkable, just not what I expected.
Fermenters: Helles, Oktoberfest
Bottled: Old Peculier, Dopplebock, Belgian ale with homemade candi syrup (2 varieties), Berliner weisse
On Deck: Hefeweizen