Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Chest Freezer
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
K5MOW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster, TX
Posts: 418
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Chest Freezer

Hi all
I would like to know what is the smallest chest freezer that you all have used that will hold at lest one 6 gallon carboy with the airlock on . I would like to get the smallest one I can get that would hold one 6 gallon carboy.

Thanks

Roger


__________________
primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber
K5MOW is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 947
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

5 cu ft.


__________________
BN Army for Life!!!
stevo155 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 22,378
Liked 5009 Times on 2987 Posts
Likes Given: 4178

Default

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizi...ny-kegs-75449/

This is for corny kegs, not carboys, but it might help. I'd say the 5 cu.ft. is your answer. I think I've seen wine coolers converted, as well as small Sanyo refrigerators.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
K5MOW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster, TX
Posts: 418
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizi...ny-kegs-75449/

This is for corny kegs, not carboys, but it might help. I'd say the 5 cu.ft. is your answer. I think I've seen wine coolers converted, as well as small Sanyo refrigerators.

Well it is a 6 gallon carboy. I want to use it for fermenting logers.

Roger
__________________
primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber
K5MOW is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,816
Liked 764 Times on 558 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Default

If space is the issue, you might have better luck looking for a mini fridge instead of a freezer.

Here's mine . . .
__________________
Sent from my POS computer because I refuse to own a smartphone!
AnOldUR is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
kanzimonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 2,169
Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

You can definitely fit one carboy in a 5 cu ft freezer, but if you can score a 7 cu ft you'll be able to get one more on the compressor hump. Of course, then you'll have to figure something besides an airlock because it will be too tall, and you'll probably have to build a collar to raise the "ceiling."

Both of these things are so worth having the extra space.
kanzimonson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
K5MOW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster, TX
Posts: 418
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
You can definitely fit one carboy in a 5 cu ft freezer, but if you can score a 7 cu ft you'll be able to get one more on the compressor hump. Of course, then you'll have to figure something besides an airlock because it will be too tall, and you'll probably have to build a collar to raise the "ceiling."

Both of these things are so worth having the extra space.
Do you mean that one 6 gallon carboy with the airlock on the carboy will fit in a 5 cu ft freezer and if I got a 7 cf ft freezer then I could fit one with the airlock on and one with out a airlock.

Roger
__________________
primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber
K5MOW is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
GatorDad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 234
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

How did you invert that freezer coil??? Pleasy oh Great One tell of this secret...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
If space is the issue, you might have better luck looking for a mini fridge instead of a freezer.

Here's mine . . .
GatorDad is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 2,151
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDad View Post
How did you invert that freezer coil??? Pleasy oh Great One tell of this secret...
looks like the freezer panel was turned 180 counter clockwise and some of the cooling line was pulled through as well.

but don't take my word for it

-=Jason=-
Flomaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
kanzimonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 2,169
Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5MOW View Post
Do you mean that one 6 gallon carboy with the airlock on the carboy will fit in a 5 cu ft freezer and if I got a 7 cf ft freezer then I could fit one with the airlock on and one with out a airlock.

Roger
Yes, you should be able to fit one carboy in the lower section of a 5cu ft chest freezer, allowing you to keep an airlock on it.

Don't be so obsessed with the airlock... you can put a loose piece of foil on top, or a blowoff hose. There are so many options. Shop for space requirement.


kanzimonson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chest freezer for fermentation? skidkid267 Fermentation & Yeast 19 10-05-2012 11:07 PM
Chest freezer fermentation chamber for 2+ carboys julian81 Fermentation & Yeast 18 07-03-2012 04:31 AM
Q about Freezer Chest 4 Fermentation buckley28 Fermentation & Yeast 7 02-28-2011 06:42 PM
Gasy Chest freezer during Fermentation kingjam99 Fermentation & Yeast 2 12-31-2010 04:40 PM
Chest freezer for fermentor Wino24 Fermentation & Yeast 31 10-07-2010 02:27 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS