New Brewer with questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrittne

Reaction score
Looks like an awesome forum, glad i found it. My first attempt is a Brewer's Best Rauchbier lager. Right now its been 57 hours and no sign of fermentation or bubbles in my three piece airlock. doesnt appear to have any leaks. Im using a "brewers best" RAUCHBIER lager. Followed directions as best i could. ingredients: 6.6lb munich lme, 12oz. carapils dextrine, 6oz. roasted barley. 1lb smoked hops. 2oz. bittering, .5oz.flavoring, .5 oz. flavoring, and Saflager W-34/70 dry yeast. Been keeping the temperature at mostly 54 to 55 degrees F. (recommended is 48 to 58) Gonna wait till a full 72 hrs, then i think im gonna take a hydrometer reading. it started out as 1.052. and then if it didnt lower...ill pitch yeast again... (Is it wise to open up the cover of my fermenter to take a hydrometer reading? would it get infected?) any suggestions or advice sure would be appreciated! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

First off greetings and welcome to the obsession. I've not attempted any Lagers so I can't help you on that front. But, no activity in an air lock means nothing. As for opening the fermenter, as long as you practice good sanitization there isn't any reason you can't pop it open and take another gravity reading.

Props for jumping in with both feet!

Lagers can be tough, due to the colder temps the yeast will generally work slower than ale yeast. You also need a bigger pitch in general but your single packet of dry yeast may have been enough.

It can be tough to get a bucket sealed well, sometimes the gasket will bend or fold and you can't get it sealed without some work. Or you might have missed one tiny spot where the lid wasn't seated completely. Regardless, you're safe popping the lid and checking quickly if you're using good sanitation... but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Hope your next few beers come out with a light smoke character from the bucket... Mmmmmm...

Some lager yeast takes it's time getting going. I would not worry about it. You made food for the yeast and they will eat it. Don't judge the fermentation process by the airlock. I'd wait couple of days then peek. You won't hurt it by looking. Sanitize something to get a sample and check with hydro. Lagers sometimes don't appear to be fermenting because they usually ferment at the bottom.

You will want to ferment 3-4 weeks, then think about doing a diacetal rest before starting the lager stage, which might run 4 or more weeks. Waiting is killer!

Thanks to all that responded... I went down in the basement last night and sat there...staring at the airlock...sure enough after about 15 minutes...a big bubble....so with this bubble and all yous guys advice ..i stopped bumming! Not sure why my daughter picked out a lager for my first beer....but i guess it will be worth it...ill have it for the 4th. Im seriously thinking about starting a second batch of something simple...since i still have 2 empty barrels and a carboy--which this batch is going in next...What is the simplist brew to make?

Hey man! I'm new too, so it's good to have you right here with me. From my very limited (2 batch) experience, just pick you another recipe and go to work!! I started with a honey beer, And it took forever, kinda like your lager will I'm guessing. I did a partial mash IPA as a follow up and it was easy, and it almost seems hard to mess up. From the two times I've brewed the hardest part was staying sanitary. The brew itself will practically brew itself hahaha, just by following instructions. Again, I'm brand new to, and completely in love with the entire process. I say, brew your favorite style and drink like a king. Good luck my man, and welcome to your new favorite hobby!!

Im seriously thinking about starting a second batch of something simple...since i still have 2 empty barrels and a carboy--which this batch is going in next...What is the simplist brew to make?

You should definitely do this. It's a good idea to always have something else to drink to take your mind off waiting. ;) I would suggest a basic pale ale or hefeweizen for your next brew. Either would be ready pretty fast, so you could start enjoying some homebrew sooner rather than later.

Have fun with your new hobby!

Hey thirsty...Thank you for the welcome and the same to you...I am just kicking myself for not doing this 30 years ago! Im going to pick up another kit this weekend and start another batch...most probably an IPA. Here in vermont were very luck to have a load of good breweries...especially Long Trail...they make a killer IPA...im gonna visit them and see if I can get their formula... maybe if i have to il bribe someone....let me see if i have a spare $20 lol. Hope you make it to having your bar....Thanks again for the encouraging welcome...!
P.S. now no napping on the job lol

Hey thirsty...Thank you for the welcome and the same to you...I am just kicking myself for not doing this 30 years ago! Im going to pick up another kit this weekend and start another batch...most probably an IPA. Here in vermont were very luck to have a load of good breweries...especially Long Trail...they make a killer IPA...im gonna visit them and see if I can get their formula... maybe if i have to il bribe someone....let me see if i have a spare $20 lol. Hope you make it to having your bar....Thanks again for the encouraging welcome...!

I also wish I started brewing 30 years ago! All those years of bad beer. :mad: I live in a craft beer wasteland, so that's one reason I started brewing my own.

Now I'm sorta obsessed with brewing and recipes, and I even dream about beer recipes sometimes. It's an additive hobby, that's for sure!

Welcome to the obsession!

You should definitely do this. It's a good idea to always have something else to drink to take your mind off waiting. ;) I would suggest a basic pale ale or hefeweizen for your next brew. Either would be ready pretty fast, so you could start enjoying some homebrew sooner rather than later.

Have fun with your new hobby!
Thanks Noch...im gonna do just that! this weekend im gonna get me a IPA kit...I wanna do 3 or 4 kits before i come up with my own recipe..

Thanks Yooper! It IS exciting! i find im checking the temp and staring at the fermenter looking for bubbles about 10 times a day! lol

rbrittne said:

Hahaha! Actually I'm just now coming off the overnight "mid" shift and I was hurtn the entire time! Time to get that nap I wanted to take haha! Hey man shoot me that IPA recipe if the good folks over there are willing to part with it!!
Good luck with your next batch!

Back