Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #231
Bombeque
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stafford
Posts: 154
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Well, I kegged mine on Tuesday night. Forced carbed for the first time and I think I over carbed. But since I have been letting pressure out over the last few days, it has been getting better. I think it tastes great though. Ill be surprised if the keg lasts too long. Already planning my next brew! BTW how do I know when I get to 1.8 volumes??
Bombeque is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #232
SwampassJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,161
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombeque View Post
Well, I kegged mine on Tuesday night. Forced carbed for the first time and I think I over carbed. But since I have been letting pressure out over the last few days, it has been getting better. I think it tastes great though. Ill be surprised if the keg lasts too long. Already planning my next brew! BTW how do I know when I get to 1.8 volumes??
I'm not a kegger but I know there are calculators out there that tell you how much psi to set the regulator based on the temperature of your kegerator/keg. I'm sure google should score a few hits.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SwampassJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #233
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,539
Liked 241 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombeque View Post
Well, I kegged mine on Tuesday night. Forced carbed for the first time and I think I over carbed. But since I have been letting pressure out over the last few days, it has been getting better. I think it tastes great though. Ill be surprised if the keg lasts too long. Already planning my next brew! BTW how do I know when I get to 1.8 volumes??
I printed this one out, laminated it and hung it in my kegerator

Force carbonation chart
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing
azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #234
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 46,854
Liked 6983 Times on 5903 Posts
Likes Given: 1147

Default


Making this tomorrow, az. Probably gonna use EKG, and maybe willamette. US-04, as I'm out of notty.

45 minutes for the bittering addition?
AZ_IPA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #235
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,539
Liked 241 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Making this tomorrow, az. Probably gonna use EKG, and maybe willamette. US-04, as I'm out of notty.

45 minutes for the bittering addition?
I like both those hops! keep me posted on how you like the beer with them.

Yes the bittering addition is at 45 minutes, one of these days I'm going to FWH this one to see how it tastes with the smoothness I seem to get from it.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing
azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #236
jfrank85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: edwardsburg
Posts: 829
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default


I used willamette for a mild and loved it.
jfrank85 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #237
PattyC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 121
Liked 29 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


I just kegged this one last night. Had to make a few adjustments due to availability at the LHBS, and ended up going with Wyeast Yorkshire instead of Notty. Hydro sample tasted great! I know, I know ... it's like those Allrecipes.com reviews where people comment "I love this recipe, except I add X, Y and Z." Not the same, but this recipe was an inspiration for sure!

It was also my first time kegging, so I'm impatient. I didn't rock it, but I set it to 20 psi for a couple days at 44 F in the fridge, then I'll lower that to serving pressure (around 7 or 8). Can't wait to sample!!
PattyC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #238
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,539
Liked 241 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyC
I just kegged this one last night. Had to make a few adjustments due to availability at the LHBS, and ended up going with Wyeast Yorkshire instead of Notty. Hydro sample tasted great! I know, I know ... it's like those Allrecipes.com reviews where people comment "I love this recipe, except I add X, Y and Z." Not the same, but this recipe was an inspiration for sure!

It was also my first time kegging, so I'm impatient. I didn't rock it, but I set it to 20 psi for a couple days at 44 F in the fridge, then I'll lower that to serving pressure (around 7 or 8). Can't wait to sample!!
I think you did just fine, I substitute ingredients all the time to use up what I have or what I can get.

There are some recipes that I have never brewed to the letter, and because I liked the results with my subs I just brew it with the substitutions from there on out.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing
azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #239
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,792
Liked 760 Times on 554 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
There are some recipes that I have never brewed to the letter, and because I liked the results with my subs I just brew it with the substitutions from there on out.
Isn't it great being a homebrewer?
__________________
Sent from my POS computer because I refuse to own a smartphone!
AnOldUR is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #240
Vongo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 325
Default


Going to brew this again next weekend. I have had no time to brew in many months, cant wait! I am thinking of using Wyeast London ESB this time around and FWH... any thoughts?
__________________
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph
Vongo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US Orfy English Brown Ale 420 07-20-2015 04:40 PM
All-Grain - Blimey's Mild ohiobrewtus English Brown Ale 7 02-16-2015 04:50 PM
All-Grain - Magoo's Mild, 3rd place in Cat 11 at 2011 HBT Comp midfielder5 English Brown Ale 5 02-08-2012 02:47 PM
All-Grain - 1635 Mild Iechyd Da English Brown Ale 0 05-27-2009 02:43 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS