Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ingredient Beer Kits

Old 03-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ingredient Beer Kits

For my first few brews I want to use the packaged kits. I am in the process of using the Pale Ale Kit from "True Brew". Can anyone recommend other kits that seem to be superior. True Brew kits are available in my community, but I can order others online if necessary.
Thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

People seem to have very good luck with the kits from Austin Homebrew Supply, morebeer.com and Northern Brewer. The advantage of kits from a high-volume retailer like that is that you know the ingredients are super-fresh. LME in a can particularly seems to start tasting like the can (and darkening) after a relatively short amount of storage time.

The kits don't come with yeast--since you apparently have a LHBS, you could even purchase your yeast locally if you want.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree with cweston..
Get a kit that is not pre-made with a label on it. Instead, get one that your brew shop puts together.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've had great luck with the Austin Homebrew kits mentioned by cweston. They usually come with LME in a plastic bucket rather than a can and that is a big plus. They also have really great clone kits for lots of commercial beers.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
bnutting

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
People seem to have very good luck with the kits from Austin Homebrew Supply, morebeer.com and Northern Brewer. The advantage of kits from a high-volume retailer like that is that you know the ingredients are super-fresh. LME in a can particularly seems to start tasting like the can (and darkening) after a relatively short amount of storage time.

The kits don't come with yeast--since you apparently have a LHBS, you could even purchase your yeast locally if you want.
I gotten kits from both Austin Homebrew Supply and Northern Brewer and both come with yeast. It's optional for the Austin kits and the NB kits come with Wyeast smack packs (I think you can request others).

Both were good. I would recommend either.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
I agree with cweston..
Get a kit that is not pre-made with a label on it. Instead, get one that your brew shop puts together.
I don't know about that. I've had good luck with Brewer's Best kits from a couple of the LHBS. Ofcourse the LHBS said they have to replace their stock nearly weekly and the kits are packaged in the area.
I also like the Midwest kit I purchased. I havn't brewed it yet but the kit appears to be fresh and well put together. I think most of the big online stores sell enough volume to keep fresh supplies for their house brand kits.
Craig

Old 03-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Moundbrewer
Recipes 

I buy my kits at Midwest mainly because they are close to home. I think they have fresh product and have very clear instructions. The staff there is also helpful if you have any questions. I just brewed one of their kits last night.