Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (2011 HBT Competition Category 21 winner)

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #81
nickmv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Reviving this thread. I brewed this on Friday, and followed the recipe, minus the Fuggles (used Magnum instead -- the textbook bittering hop), and I contained the coffee and nibs within a 1gal strainer bag which I steeped and squeezed for 8 mins after flameout before removing. Used 100% cacao baking bitter chocolate (from Fresh Mkt).

I took a sample after about 50ish hours and it tastes absolutely delicious. Now, that being said, I don't notice much coffee flavor, but again, I brewed it Friday afternoon so that may take some time. I definitely could taste the roasted and choc malts, as well as the chocolate itself. I expect after primary, that the coffee will come through a bit more. Plus, there's coffee to add at kegging anyways. It's going to be absolutely amazing, I can tell.
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #82
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Brewed partial mash of this yesterday, How long should one let it bottle condition before drinking?

Old 10-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #83
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did this one again today - OG was a bit low because of an unusually low efficiency (67.9%) and a bit too much wort after the boil. Did a roaring 72 minute boil to get rid of some liquid and thought I got it right, but I probably should have gone another 15 -20 minutes to hit my water mark. Oh well.

Added some great Valrhona cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, and 4.5 oz of coffee grounds. Both were added at flame out as I did last time and as I always do with chocolate and coffee additions. Even with the few minor issues, a sample of the wort was quite good, and I believe that this should be another nice beer in 5 -6 months or so.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #84
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 196

So you don't do any coffee or chocolate additions after the flame out ones? None in secondary? Interesting.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #85
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Wow this one takes 5-6 months. Ugh

Old 10-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #86
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 131 Posts

It might be at its best by then, but it prob wont last til then lol
Dynachrome Likes This 
Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #87
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3n00b View Post
Wow this one takes 5-6 months. Ugh
I say 5 - 6 months due to my former garage and brewing area being between 50 and in the summer 60 degrees (in Alaska). Things simply took longer at those temps - carbing sometimes took months. I now live in the lower 48 and my garage is in the mid to upper 60's, so I plan on cracking a bottle a month after bottling to see how it is, and if not done, then cracking another bottle every month after that.

mtnangel - I make a few beers with coffee in them, and a few with chocolate and coffee - I always add at flameout and never after - I have always had the full flavor come through. I am not a fan of secondaries and secondary additions with the exception of when I have to dry hop. I think there are a lot of good ways to add coffee to a brew, I just like doing it this way.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #88
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice View Post
mtnangel - I make a few beers with coffee in them, and a few with chocolate and coffee - I always add at flameout and never after - I have always had the full flavor come through. I am not a fan of secondaries and secondary additions with the exception of when I have to dry hop. I think there are a lot of good ways to add coffee to a brew, I just like doing it this way.
That's cool. I don't secondary all that often either. You could always add the coffee into primary too. I do that will all dry hopping now.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #89
ApertureBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What would happen to this recipe if you left out the 9 oz. of debittered, black malt?? (and by left out I mean they didn't have any and I forgot to add my 9 oz of Carafa III)

Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #90
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Couple questions about the cocoa nibs and coffee beans at flame out. I'm assuming we're talking crushed and not ground ingredients since everyone seems to put them in a strainer bag. Is that right?