Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (2011 HBT Competition Category 21 winner)

Old 11-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #91
Dynachrome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I'm doing this and adding a "few" ounces of bourbon...
Did you ever give this a try, and how did it go for you please?

Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #92
MorningGloryBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
Did you ever give this a try, and how did it go for you please?
I'm not Homercidal but I added 1.5-2 oz of medium toast oak chips (don't have my notes handy so I'm not certain of the amount) that were soaked in a half pint of Buffalo Trace bourbon. I soaked the chips for a week and then added the whole mixture to secondary and let it condition for about two months.

It's been a huge hit and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I left out the coffee/chocolate to let the malt/oak shine through but will probably include the coffee next time.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #93
thadass
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Finally bottled this about two weeks ago. Got away from me during the middle of the year and ended up sitting in primary for 291 days (oops). Brewed the final addition of coffee in a french press and used that to briefly boil the priming sugar in.
Didn't add any extra yeast at bottling but they are carbing up just fine so far. Quick chilled and drank a bottle last night and it was very nice. A little sharp tasting; maybe only 90% as smooth as I would hope, but that's likely from the yeast still being mildly active during the carb.

No off flavors from sitting on the primary that long as far as I can tell. Hopefully some cold conditioning after carbing will smooth it out a little further.

Drinking: Late for Breakfast Stout, How Rye Am I? Saison, HD 2013, Graff
Bottle conditioning: Nut Brown Ale, EdWort's Hause Pale Ale
Primaries: Dry Irish Stoat, Oatish
rgauthier20420 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #94
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadass View Post
sitting in primary for 291 days (oops).
Wow. Wonder if that's a record

Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #95
thadass
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Wow. Wonder if that's a record
Haha, I hope it stays as my personal record for the rest of my brewing. It's the first brew I've come up with my own name for. I figured "late for breakfast stout" was catchy and accurate

Drinking: Late for Breakfast Stout, How Rye Am I? Saison, HD 2013, Graff
Bottle conditioning: Nut Brown Ale, EdWort's Hause Pale Ale
Primaries: Dry Irish Stoat, Oatish

Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #96
mtnagel
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #97
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 130 Posts

291 days??!!?? Im impressed. Sounds like the autolysis debate is over! Case closed!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #98
jmadway
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Was in Santa Cruz, CA yesterday and got a chance to visit the Sante Adairius Brewery. They've been getting a ton of great publicity lately, so I was really excited to try their beers. My favorite was "I See a Darkness" Honey Porter with Coffee. It was the best and strongest coffee flavor I've ever had in a beer.

I got a chance to talk to the brewer and he had some pretty strong beliefs about when and how to add the coffee. The day before they are ready to put a 5-gallon keg on for serving, they steep 3 oz of local fresh ground coffee directly in the cold and carbonated keg. The next day, they pull out the bag and tap the keg. The brewer was against adding coffee at the end of the boil because, as he said, "You wouldn't ever drink coffee that had been sitting around for months. You want your coffee fresh." Hence, they add all the coffee fresh right before people drink it. They are so passionate about the freshness of the coffee in this beer that they won't bottle it because they don't think it would retain the fresh coffee flavor. So, it's only available in the tasting room.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting to consider in preparing to make this beer. I am going to try only adding the coffee to my keg before tapping it.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #99
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadway View Post
Was in Santa Cruz, CA yesterday and got a chance to visit the Sante Adairius Brewery. They've been getting a ton of great publicity lately, so I was really excited to try their beers. My favorite was "I See a Darkness" Honey Porter with Coffee. It was the best and strongest coffee flavor I've ever had in a beer.

I got a chance to talk to the brewer and he had some pretty strong beliefs about when and how to add the coffee. The day before they are ready to put a 5-gallon keg on for serving, they steep 3 oz of local fresh ground coffee directly in the cold and carbonated keg. The next day, they pull out the bag and tap the keg. The brewer was against adding coffee at the end of the boil because, as he said, "You wouldn't ever drink coffee that had been sitting around for months. You want your coffee fresh." Hence, they add all the coffee fresh right before people drink it. They are so passionate about the freshness of the coffee in this beer that they won't bottle it because they don't think it would retain the fresh coffee flavor. So, it's only available in the tasting room.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting to consider in preparing to make this beer. I am going to try only adding the coffee to my keg before tapping it.
I don't think the breakfast stout tastes a ton like coffee, but would be good with a stronger voice taste.

In baking, coffee is added frequently in small amounts (usually undetectable as coffee in the finished product) to chocolate dishes because it makes the chocolate flavor really pop out. I think the coffee in the breakfast stout makes it richer without necessarily making it taste as lot like coffee.

With that said, I don't even like to drink day old coffee.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #100
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 726

So I've read through the whole thread and as far as I can tell nobody has mentioned how using cocoa powder compares to following the recipe in the OP. Thoughts?

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Equinox/Citra/Amarillo APA
Primary :
Primary :
On Tap : Muddy Waters Stout, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout,
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club