Racked Imperial IPA to secondary, smells like a barleywine? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racked Imperial IPA to secondary, smells like a barleywine?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
spak
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Waterford, Michigan
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I just racked my Imperial IPA to secondary will dry hop when it clears up. But it smelled like a Barley wine, and tasted somewhat like one too (smelled like Blithering Idiot from Weyerbacher, almost positive). It wasnt sour though from what I could tell

went from 1.085 to 1.020 in 5 days (meaning its 8.5% right now will probably drop lower, the airlock is bubbling, though it is really slow)

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: My IPA
Brewer: Spak
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.20 gal      
Boil Size: 1.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 13.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount       Item                                       Type         % or IBU     
1.55 lb      Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)          Dry Extract  29.0 %       
3.30 lb      Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM)            Extract      61.7 %       
0.50 lb      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)      Grain        9.3 %        
1.00 oz      Centennial [9.60%]  (60 min)               Hops         71.0 IBU     
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (30 min)                  Hops         15.3 IBU     
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (15 min)                  Hops         9.9 IBU      
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (5 min)                   Hops         4.0 IBU      
0.50 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (1 min)                   Hops         0.9 IBU      
1.00 oz      Cascade [5.40%]  (Dry Hop 7 days)          Hops          -           
0.50 tsp     Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                 Misc                      
1 Pkgs       California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 2L]         

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 0.50 lb
----------------------------

Notes:
------
added liquid extract after the boil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it blew off the top of the mr beer fermenter I put it in too, but I didnt open it up, I just cleaned up the mess that was in the container i set it in.
Secondary 2: none
Bottles: Export Stout, Belgian Wit IPA, Belgian Blonde, Columbus/Simcoe IPA, Nelson/Sorachi Saison, Cinnamon/Orange zest spiced Dunkelweizen

Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
San Jose, CA
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Four ounces of hops (including dry hop) for an IIPA seems low to me, particularly with most of the late additions in such small amounts. IBU-wise, you're getting good bitterness, but relatively little hoppiness. After the dryhopping, that should balance out a bit more, but I'd bet next time around you'd be better served upping the amounts of the later additions.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
illinois
Liked 159 Times on 135 Posts

That's a 2 gallon batch smagee - sounds yummy to me. Give it a few more weeks, then send me a sample!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Dec 2007
U.P. of MI
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

As the beer gets drier, the balance will change and it will seem less barleywine and more IIPA.
On Tap: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Coffee Blonde, Belma APA
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse

Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

Mar 2011
San Jose, CA
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
That's a 2 gallon batch smagee - sounds yummy to me. Give it a few more weeks, then send me a sample!
Ah, that'll teach me to read postings late at night. My mistake!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
spak
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Waterford, Michigan
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks everyone! I just need to RDWHAHB. I think I am going to let is sit longer in secondary before adding the hops, since this is imperial. It is bubbling in the secondary 1 per minute or so(so it is technically going faster than after I racked it) I also went to the LHBS and picked up an auto siphon(i tried racking it with a regular racking cane and it failed 4 times, so I just trickled it down the side of the 3 gal bottle to rack it) I also got an ounce of Simcoe for the IPA dry hopping, and a 6 gallon PET bottle to rack my porter into with a carboy hauler strap thing lol(will be putting vanilla beans in there too).

My bottled stout is doing good as well, they are firmer than when I cracked one open last Saturday to give it a taste. Oh and I dont think I will be using the Mr Beer any longer, cuz I can brew plenty with 2 secondaries. (will be doing Imperial batches in the 3 gallon, so I have enough headspace in the primary for when krausen goes insane)
Bottles: Export Stout, Belgian Wit IPA, Belgian Blonde, Columbus/Simcoe IPA, Nelson/Sorachi Saison, Cinnamon/Orange zest spiced Dunkelweizen

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
spak
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Waterford, Michigan
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you guys were SOO right. I bottled it today. Sat on cascades and simcoe for 9 days. This tastes freaking awesome(and bottle conditioned its probably going to be even better)

Smells like an orange straight up, with a bit grapefruit. Taste of orange, grapefruit, pine, and a good amount of caramel. Pretty strong bitterness as well, this should improve with the bottle conditioning. A bit on the thick side

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.020
8.5% ABV

I got 20 bottles out of this, I left some trub in the bottling bucket, but my last bottle had a good amount of sediment, so its going to be a lottery when I pick that one to open lol. I did crack one bottle(one of my founders bottles) on top when I capped it. I transferred it into another bottle and capped it lol.