Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Old 09-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #401
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Still a little under carbed but it looks and tastes phenomenal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130915_131013.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	148381  
Mysticmead Likes This 
Old 09-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #402
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
Still a little under carbed but it looks and tastes phenomenal.
awesome looking pint!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #403
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Based on my experimentation I can definitely recommend using oak with this brew.
This is already a great beer (thanks again Mysticmead, I keep coming back to this and it keeps being awesome) and I really like the additional vanilla and spice notes.
For this batch I purchased a medium toast Hungarian oak stick and sanitized it by letting it sit in Irish whiskey (Kilbeggan) while the beer was in primary for a week.

After the first week I transferred to secondary and added the oak and let it sit for about 6 weeks.
Bottle priming took longer, roughly 3 weeks to fully carbonate, but it got there eventually. I'm down to my last 12 pack now and it tastes amazing though I think the spice notes from the oak have mellowed out after a few months in the bottle.
Again, I thought this was an amazing beer to begin with which is why I chose it for this longer process.

Cheers

Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #404
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeremy View Post
Based on my experimentation I can definitely recommend using oak with this brew.
This is already a great beer (thanks again Mysticmead, I keep coming back to this and it keeps being awesome) and I really like the additional vanilla and spice notes.
For this batch I purchased a medium toast Hungarian oak stick and sanitized it by letting it sit in Irish whiskey (Kilbeggan) while the beer was in primary for a week.

After the first week I transferred to secondary and added the oak and let it sit for about 6 weeks.
Bottle priming took longer, roughly 3 weeks to fully carbonate, but it got there eventually. I'm down to my last 12 pack now and it tastes amazing though I think the spice notes from the oak have mellowed out after a few months in the bottle.
Again, I thought this was an amazing beer to begin with which is why I chose it for this longer process.

Cheers
sounds great! I might have to give this a shot too... after I oak age an imperial stout

Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #405
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I realize, as I near the end of my keg of this beer, that I have failed to post my results and owe it to Mysticmead to do so.

Awesome beer. Great color and clarity. Very easy drinking. I think the honey definitely adds a little something. Maybe its a little sweetness at the end of each swig. I had been on roll of IPAs and APAs and this was the perfect diversion. Everyone who tried it liked it...even my wife!!! That is a first.

Thanks again for a great recipe.
Mysticmead Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #406
John8251
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3625144487.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	149195

In the fermenter. So excited about this one. Has anyone done this one with Orange Blossom honey? I'm curious to see if it adds anything to the flavor profile, good or bad. I've been wanting to do an Irish Red and this looked like a perfect place to start. The post boil sample looked amazing. Thanks for the recipe mysticmead! I'll let you know how it turns out and post pictures of the finished product..

Centerseat Brewing Co.
Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottled: Hop Nosh Clone
On Deck: Brew Free or Die Clone
Gone but not forgotten: Raging Red Irish Ale, Imperial Chocolate Rye Cinammon Porter, Ruin Your Face IIPA, BM's Nierra Sevada, Maris Otter IPA, Citra Session IPA, BM's Blue Balls, Raspberry Wheat, E Brown Ale, 60 Minute IPA, Grapefruit Blonde

Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #407
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8251 View Post

In the fermenter. So excited about this one. Has anyone done this one with Orange Blossom honey? I'm curious to see if it adds anything to the flavor profile, good or bad. I've been wanting to do an Irish Red and this looked like a perfect place to start. The post boil sample looked amazing. Thanks for the recipe mysticmead! I'll let you know how it turns out and post pictures of the finished product..
honestly, save the Orange blossom honey and use some simple cheapo honey. it's really there to boost the ABV.. it might smooth it out just a little too but the flavor is lost to the rest of the beer.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #408
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just put another batch into primary. I'll be aging with oak again, just 5 weeks is my current plan. Still, it's going to be such a long wait!

Totally worth it, but a long wait. Maybe I should give it an extra month on the oak and just have it on New Year's.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #409
nolabrew85
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I put this recipe in beersmith with the same efficiency, I get a little lower gravity and also a lower SRM, more like 14 instead of 15.9. Anyone else have this issue? I was thinking of maybe upping the caraaroma and/or meladoien a bit to get the color right. Should I do this or just leave it is as is despit what beersmith is saying?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #410
dave8274
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabrew85 View Post
When I put this recipe in beersmith with the same efficiency, I get a little lower gravity and also a lower SRM, more like 14 instead of 15.9. Anyone else have this issue? I was thinking of maybe upping the caraaroma and/or meladoien a bit to get the color right. Should I do this or just leave it is as is despit what beersmith is saying?
I had the same problem. I think it's because I entered it as a 5.5 gallon batch like the heading of the recipe says, but if you look a little further down in the recipe it should be 5.0.