Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #151
okcnyyfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What would be the best way to convert this to an extract brew?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #152
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnyyfan View Post
What would be the best way to convert this to an extract brew?
I would use Beersmith to convert it...with a few slight changes...

7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
12.0 oz Caraaroma
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Carafoam / cara-pils
1 oz Crystal hops 4.3% 60 minutes
1 oz cascade hops 5.9% 30 minutes
1 whirflock 10 minutes
1lb honey flameout

that should get you fairly close.
you really should look at moving up to All Grain.. BIAB (Brew In A Bag) is an affordable option for All Grain brewing. Its easy to brew All Grain, its cheaper, and the beer in my opinion tastes better.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #153
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyproctor33 View Post
Brewed this today. LHBS didn't have caraaroma or carafoam so used cara-pils and dark crystal malt instead. Smell was awesome . OG 1.06. Can't wait to drink.
Makes me appreciate my LHBS

Old 12-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #154
jjeremy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post

I would use Beersmith to convert it...with a few slight changes...

7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
12.0 oz Caraaroma
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Carafoam / cara-pils
1 oz Crystal hops 4.3% 60 minutes
1 oz cascade hops 5.9% 30 minutes
1 whirflock 10 minutes
1lb honey flameout

that should get you fairly close.
you really should look at moving up to All Grain.. BIAB (Brew In A Bag) is an affordable option for All Grain brewing. Its easy to brew All Grain, its cheaper, and the beer in my opinion tastes better.
I second this. BIAB all grain is easy and satisfying. Also, spent grain is a good way to make friends with chicken owners and get some free eggs.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #155
h0psnobery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

*subscribed

Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #156
patchedboard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I was making another batch of this last night having made it last year and remembering its awesomeness...but half way through the boil I thought I forgot the honey and added it then, instead of at flameout...how do you think this will affect the outcome?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #157
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchedboard View Post
So I was making another batch of this last night having made it last year and remembering its awesomeness...but half way through the boil I thought I forgot the honey and added it then, instead of at flameout...how do you think this will affect the outcome?

You will lose the flavor that the honey adds to the beer. Basically, that is equivalent to pouring pure sugar into the wort

Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #158
pentiumone133
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Not sure if the typo is OP's or my LHBS's website but I couldn't find "Melanoiden" malt when searching their site. Googled it and found the spelling "Melanoidin" which they did have!

Everything in stock at the LHBS...Placed the order and I'll pick up tomorrow after work. Cant wait to brew, hopefully next weekend!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #159
Big_Blue
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So, I've made two batches of a slightly altered version of this.

The first I brewed on 10/4/12 and bottled on 10/25/12. Looked good, smelled good... tasted sketchy. It had a medicinal quality to it. I kicked up some trub when bottling, so I thought that might be why. I figured it would settle out. After cracking open most of the bottles throughout December, I found that some of the bottles were fine (tasted exceptional) and some were not (tasted like old Band-Aids). I'm not sure what the issue was. Bottles weren't all clean enough? I scrubbed the hell and sanitized them all the same. Excess sediment got dropped in random bottles? Possibly. I really did piss it off when bottling. Was it the honey? Maybe? I bought bulk and racked on top of it, rather than adding it at flame out. Maybe the quality of the honey wasn't as good as it was made out to be. Something, somewhere along the line wasn't as clean/sanitized as it could have been? Possibly, though I'm very meticulous and I figure that would have been 100% bad across the board, rather than 50/50-ish.

At any rate, I drank them all/gave them away, horrible taste or no.

I brewed a second batch almost as soon as my fermenter was empty, on 11/20/12. I had not really discovered that the original batch was funky as I was doing this, but when I had I kinda decided to just let it hide away in my closet. I didn't want to find out that it, too, was funky.

While the beer was being quarantined, I decided to upgrade to a kegerator (I could no longer see myself spending an entire day bottling every few weeks. I'm lazy and I drink quickly -- not a great combo).

I finished my build this past weekend and finally got the CO2 tank on Monday. The second batch went in the keg (the first ever) after seven weeks in the fermenter. I was particularly careful about not disturbing the ginormous cake at the bottom.

The sample (reading at an ideal 1.010) was, despite my trepidation, fantastic. It was also much, much clearer than the first run.

Currently, I'm burst carbing it and should have a glass drawn off tonight. If all goes well, I'll have a picture or two to follow (the original batch made me so sad I forgot the camera).

Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #160
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 134

glad you gave it a second shot. that bandaid taste is either a Brett infection or Chlorine.