Oatmeal Stout Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Oatmeal Stout Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: WLP001   
Yeast Starter: 1l   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5   
Original Gravity: 1.059   
Final Gravity: 1.010   
IBU: 31   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Color: 34 SRM   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14   
Tasting Notes: roasty, toasty, dark chocolate, mocha, nutty, creamy   

I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off and took 2nd in Oatmeal Stouts. I have since altered the recipe to include an additional pound of oatmeal since the judges suggested more oatmeal for more of a nutty flavor. The original recipe is as follows.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 34.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (412.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) (toasted at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden brown)
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (30 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I used a 1000ml starter and had bubbles in the airlock within 3 hours and vigorous fermentation with in 8 hours

BeerCityBrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
TheRabidKumquat
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Mt. Greenwood, Chicago
Posts: 58
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Brewed this up yesterday. After a phase of lighter beers, I've wandered back onto the dark side and had been wanting to brew a stout. The name drew me in. Mashed at 152 for an hour. Only as the wort was coming to to a boil did I notice that you mashed a little higher for 90 minutes.
Brewed outside which was in the 40s, mash temp dropped about 10 degrees, but I wound up getting a starting gravity of 1.061. Used Nottingham yeast instead of wlp001. I did add the additional pound of toasted oats (2# total)

Can't wait to try this! Right before the boil the kettle looked like a giant macciato. Thanks for the recipe!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRabidKumquat View Post
Brewed this up yesterday. After a phase of lighter beers, I've wandered back onto the dark side and had been wanting to brew a stout. The name drew me in. Mashed at 152 for an hour. Only as the wort was coming to to a boil did I notice that you mashed a little higher for 90 minutes.
Brewed outside which was in the 40s, mash temp dropped about 10 degrees, but I wound up getting a starting gravity of 1.061. Used Nottingham yeast instead of wlp001. I did add the additional pound of toasted oats (2# total)

Can't wait to try this! Right before the boil the kettle looked like a giant macciato. Thanks for the recipe!
don't worry about being lower in mash temps.. you're still going to have a kick a$$ stout. I just brewed this one again yesterday. dropped the 2 row to 8lbs, boosted the oats to 2lbs... used US-05. This stout is going to be my starter for an Imperial Stout that should weigh in around 1.098-1.100... tis the season!!! let me know how this turns out for you!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
TheRabidKumquat
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Mt. Greenwood, Chicago
Posts: 58
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


So I was planning on bottling this and sharing with family and friends. Laziness and not finding the time to finish cleaning the bottles paid off though. Kegged it instead and am bringing it to a St. Patrick's Day party. Tasted a small bit of it while transferring to the keg, and at basement temp and flat it was really tasty. Looking forward to it. Will report back with feedback I get.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
TheRabidKumquat
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Mt. Greenwood, Chicago
Posts: 58
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Amazing was a word thrown around more than once. After waking up this morning, checked it and there might be 3 pints left in the keg, so people weren't just being polite.
Will definitely be making another batch of this later in the year to have for the winter.

Mysticmead Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRabidKumquat View Post
Amazing was a word thrown around more than once. After waking up this morning, checked it and there might be 3 pints left in the keg, so people weren't just being polite.
Will definitely be making another batch of this later in the year to have for the winter.
yeah.. that word seems to follow this beer. it has turned quite a few Guinness drinkers into FORMER Guinness drinkers. It's great in the fall and winter but even in the spring and summer it goes great with a nice grilled steak.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
jp27300
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 63
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off and took 2nd in Oatmeal Stouts. I have since altered the recipe to include an additional pound of oatmeal since the judges suggested more oatmeal for more of a nutty flavor. The original recipe is as follows.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 34.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (412.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) (toasted at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden brown)
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (30 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I used a 1000ml starter and had bubbles in the airlock within 3 hours and vigorous fermentation with in 8 hours
You said you modified it to add another pound of oats. Does the adding include a total of 2 pounds or 3 pounds
for 5 gal?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jp27300 View Post
You said you modified it to add another pound of oats. Does the adding include a total of 2 pounds or 3 pounds
for 5 gal?
what I did to modify it was to replace the oat malt with flaked oats. While the beer was still really good, I thought it tasted better to me as in the original recipe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
jonnyp1980
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Kittery, Maine
Posts: 757
Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts


Love the name I would like to try this out. Any pics or updates on this beer?
__________________
Subscribe to our youtube channel where we review your beer, dicuss brewing tips, and share your recipe. Cheers


http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


since I have this kegged, I'll get a pic and post it later. Only thing changed from the original recipe is, I toasted the entire pound of oats

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warrior Single Hop Stout PastorsWalkTavern Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-30-2016 12:54 AM
Turn Oatmeal Stout into Oatmeal RAISIN Stout?? 1971hemicuda Recipes/Ingredients 6 01-15-2015 10:55 PM
Turning an oatmeal stout into an oatmeal MILK stout? mrphillips General Beer Discussion 2 09-03-2014 11:02 PM
Warrior/Liberty Coffee Oatmeal Stout? rodwha Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 11-18-2013 10:44 PM
Warrior Stout Beerlord Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 01-25-2008 07:26 PM


Forum Jump