Racked to a secondary and... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racked to a secondary and...

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
binkman

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I just racked my Oktoberfest to a carboy this weekend and put it back in the fridge to lager. I don't have a thermostat, but I do have a thermometer in there and can adjust the temp pretty accurately.

Anyway, its been in there for about 2 days now at around 34F. And... I just opened it up today to notice about 3/4 inch of what appears to be yeast on the bottom of the carboy! Is this the result of the lagering dropping the yeast out of suspension?

I swear to god the SG was constant for a week before I racked it, but in addition to this yeast accumulation, the airlock is bubbling away! As if it were 50 F in that fridge! What's going on?! Should I wait for bubbling to stop and rack to a... tertiary?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman View Post
I just racked my Oktoberfest to a carboy this weekend and put it back in the fridge to lager. I don't have a thermostat, but I do have a thermometer in there and can adjust the temp pretty accurately.

Anyway, its been in there for about 2 days now at around 34F. And... I just opened it up today to notice about 3/4 inch of what appears to be yeast on the bottom of the carboy! Is this the result of the lagering dropping the yeast out of suspension?

I swear to god the SG was constant for a week before I racked it, but in addition to this yeast accumulation, the airlock is bubbling away! As if it were 50 F in that fridge! What's going on?! Should I wait for bubbling to stop and rack to a... tertiary?

That sounds unusual- at least the airlock activity does anyway! It would be normal for the yeast to drop out like that if you lowered the temp very quickly. I drop the temp 5 degrees per day for my lagers when I go to the lagering phase.

Maybe the airlock is bubbling because you've got a change in barometric pressure or something? I don't know- but if fermentation is finished, it's not from fermentation!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
brad26
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Michigan

That's happened to me a couple times when I racked to a secondary. If you want to be sure, take a gravity reading and see if it's changed.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2009
NW Ohio, Ohio
Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That sounds unusual- at least the airlock activity does anyway! It would be normal for the yeast to drop out like that if you lowered the temp very quickly. I drop the temp 5 degrees per day for my lagers when I go to the lagering phase.

Maybe the airlock is bubbling because you've got a change in barometric pressure or something? I don't know- but if fermentation is finished, it's not from fermentation!
A barometer would be a good piece of equipment to have. I have one for fishing and I'll check that if I see the same phenomenon.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Just1pepsi
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Norman, oklahoma

My first thought was the pressure change from the temperature change, but I could be wrong. I know nada about lagering at this point.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
binkman

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Can I keep it on the cake until September or is this a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
Bottled: B'more Malty Pale Ale — Orfy's Bitter — Swinging Hammock Summer Kφlsch — Dry-Hopped Bitter — Apfelwein — Pumpkin ale — B'more Malty Pale Ale — Kitchen Sink Red — Cider — Spontaneous Cider — Armistice Barleywine

Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman View Post
Can I keep it on the cake until September or is this a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
Ideally, you'd have less. But if your temp is 34ish, you'll be fine with lagering on it for a few months. Cold temperatures slow down the breakdown of the yeast cells.