Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Cold Smoked Salmon and Gouda

Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2976 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That is even more mcguvyered than my tomato can and soldering iron. Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
fisher1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I never thought of using the stack as a means of cold smoking! I am going to run a length of metal flexy pipe to a box and cold smoke a few slabs of bacon.
I use a 20 ft length of dryer vent duct. Here is some smoked gouda, gruyere and almonds from the exhaust of my Green Mountain pellet grill while making jerky:

Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
twhite315@gmail.com
Recipes 

I did the same thing Paul did. I even have a Masterbuilt smoker. I used a flexible dryer tube and a cookie tin for my setup. I used duct tape to hold the dryer tube to the top vent of the smoker and cut a hole in the bottom and top of the cookie tin and duct tape that to the top of the tube. I also put a thermometer probe into the top of the tube. That way if the temperature exceeds 90 degrees in the cookie tin where the salmon resides, I can stretch the tube out to take advantage of the cold outside air. (assuming you live in Ohio) One other thing I do is brine the salmon in salt for 2 days to extract all the liquid and kill most of the bad microorganisms. It becomes salty however it is great on crackers! I also try to stay below 90 degrees because that is the thresh hold between cold and hot smoking. I wish I had taken pictures of this setup because it reminds me of something from the old show Lost In Space. Next time I will.