American Wheat Beer American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this a few weeks ago and will keg in a weeks time. Is this a very delicate beer with little flavour? I brewed it as per recipe and my gravity sample was very bland. I'll see if it changes once it is cooled and carbed. Note I have made Cream of Three Crops and found that a very bland and boring beer as well. I don't have access to US macro brews so perhaps that may be the difference.

Well it's carbed and cold and has improved. It is a good easy drinking beer. I've never had this style before so I needed to recalibrate my taste buds for this subtle beer.

It has only been bottled one week but I couldn't resist trying one of these and I love it!!! Great recipe! I substituted using Galaxy hops and WLP051 yeast and love the flavor. First all grain batch was a success. :)

Thanks!I have no Wyeast 2565 Kölsch,can I use another yeast for example us-05 or bry97 or s-04 or Munich ?thank you very much!

This will be the first batch done in my newly created mash tun! I'll keep you posted, if you're interested...

So I brewed this on 4-22, I used Wyeast 2565. Primary: 21 days @ 60, Secondary: 7 days @ 65, 7 days to go from 65 to 45, then 7 day @ 45. I've never used a Kolsch yeast. My question is, will I have any issues with not enough yeast in suspension, after that long of a secondary, to be able to bottle carbonate with just priming sugar?
I'm fairly confident that "it's all good" but I will be bottling tomorrow and I figured it doesn't hurt to ask

Thanks for your advice in advance.

WillieP, there should still be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle carbonate.

I just put a batch of this in the ferment chamber. Looks and smells good.

Used WLP 029 direct pitch yeast. Along with a little oxygen.

A little Calcium Chloride and couple of ounces of sour malt added to the RO water.

We'll see how it does in a couple of weeks.

Just bottled this, had an FG of 1.004...I used wyeast 1056 instead and hit the OG of 1.050. Flavor was good, almost-cracker-ey? Still figuring out this AG brewing.

Wanted a summer beer to have on the pool deck. Brewed this without making any changes. Folks emptied this keg in record time. Thanks for the recipe .

Wanted to say I brewed this turning it into a cherry wheat. It was great, had a keg of it at a beer expo and many said it was the best beer there.

I'm going to brew this again. I remember it being very malty or grainy.

Using us05 and 06. Splitting a 10 gallon batch.

That is unless I get the herbsucker I ordered by Sunday, in which case I would brew an Oberon clone.

Just getting ready to mash out on this. After a very rough back to back brew session last night, tonight is going much smoother. Hoping to have it kegged and ready for the Super Bowl.

I should have had this going to the superbowl also! Dont think ill get to it before then though. :(

hello, I was just wondering what Munich malt is the original recipe calling for? and if there has been any changes since it was posted, to a "even better" option?

I have Caramunich I, would that work?

also, I have no magnum, but I looked online and I saw that Columbus was a good substitute for Magnum...would you all agree?

thanks for any help.

I used light munich and it turned out great. Caramunich would likely work just fine. It's a half pound, it'll be close enough.

Columbus would be fine for the bittering addition, I think Columbus works well as a bittering hop for almost all styles. I used Galaxy for the flavor/aroma additions in my last batch of this and while good, it wasn't as amazing as the Centennial was. Good luck with your brew! This is one of my favorite "as-is" recipes and really doesn't need improving on.

I used light munich and it turned out great. Caramunich would likely work just fine. It's a half pound, it'll be close enough.

Columbus would be fine for the bittering addition, I think Columbus works well as a bittering hop for almost all styles. I used Galaxy for the flavor/aroma additions in my last batch of this and while good, it wasn't as amazing as the Centennial was. Good luck with your brew! This is one of my favorite "as-is" recipes and really doesn't need improving on.

music to my ears!!! thanks so much.

one more question, has anyone made this recipe on the grainfather? if so, would you be willing to share how you adjusted it for the grainfather?

thanks,

This recipe looked good, so I brewed a take on it today.

Sub'd out 2lbs of 2row with Pils (I had it on hand).
Used Caramunich instead of munich (had it on hand).
Added in 4oz of Acidulated, to give this a tart touch.
My AA on my hops was a little off, but I used the same types.
Sub'd in Munich Yeast (had it on hand).

All of my 2row and Pils were Swaen Malting company (I love their stuff). I find their grains to be a bit on the malty side, which I like. It's also a tad darker.

On hand I have kiwi extract, strawberry extract, blueberry extract, and apricot puree. I'm considering "fruit-ing" at least half of this - kind of leaning towards kiwi. I'll post updates as it moves along.

I made this with US-05 it turned out great. I had some people over that wasn't fans of wheat but loved this recipe.

Anyone tried adding other spices such as coriander, lemongrass, pink peppercorn or grain of paradise. I haven't tasted the beer or brewed it so may be you could tell me how you think these spices would complement this recipe.
thanks

Just did up 12 gallons of this with Nottingham for the yeast. Bubbling away on day 2 of fermenting. My efficiency was higher than expected, which isn't a bad thing. 12 Gallons into the fermenter at 10.51.

Last night I served this to a couple hundred Soldiers from my Brigade and it was a huge hit. Changed the aroma and flavor hop additions to Citra for a little more citrus punch and nailed it. Great recipe. Great beer. Thanks.

IMG_20171202_183116.jpg

Just brewed up another ten gallons with at least ten more to do. Changed the hops to Simcoe to see what a little pine action tastes like in this thing. Can't say enough good things about this recipe. The Soldiers in my unit definitely appreciate all the work that went into recipe development, though.

Doing this with Galaxy instead of Cenennial and WLP029 tomorrow. 2nd all grain - had some water volume mishaps on my first AG that resulted in a gallon less into the fermenter. Hoping to smooth that out tomorrow.

Very good American wheat beer. I brewed 10 gallons and fremented with us-05 at 65 degrees for ~30 days and the cold crashed. I kegged it (8 psi at 32 degrees) then drank it between 2-6 months old. I would brew again without any changes. Thanks for the recipe.

Mine came out nice with the WLP029 Kolsch yeast.... That yeast might replace Notty as my "go-to". Galaxy hops faded a bit, but it's still a nice beer.

Oh man so glad I found this recipe. Have a pack of Kölsch activator I ordered a few months ago that needs using and it's still too warm to brew a Kölsch. Also, been meaning to do a split wheat and add raspberries to one half as an experiment.

I might try going half and half with pilsner and pale malt instead of all pale too.

Will report back in about 8 weeks :)

Just brewed today. I used torrified wheat instead of the typical white wheat so numbers came in a bit lower than planned - 1.045 instead of 1.050. This one's going to get blueberries added. Looking forward to it

Just pitched the yeast for a batch of this. I did a 15 minute hop stand @ 165 instead of flameout. The sample I tasted was amazing, even for an unfermented wort. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Back