Imperial Stout Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner) - Page 8 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Stout Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #71
blip01
Recipes 

Mar 2011
haddonfield, nj
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplife

i would definitely recommend using a blowoff tube to anyone attempting this beer.

I had tons of krausen and the fermetation was super active for at least 4 days.
+1

Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #72
E_mott09
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Chicago, IL

Hey guys. I plan on making a modified version of this recipe. I made a new thread for the questions I had since it's a different beer. I'd appreciate it if you'd read this and lend any advice you can. Thanks a lot.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/advi...3/#post3637925

Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #73
malweth
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Brewing this Monday...
I'm hoping to get 10 gallons (total) from a partigyle... but I'm just going to wing the second batch.

Here are all my available hops:
Challenger 7.8% 8.0 oz } These were bought for this
Uk goldings 5.0% 2.0 oz } RIS recipe.
Uk goldings 5.8% 1.0 oz
Uk goldings 4.5% Partial oz (half-ish)
Unknown, partial oz
Cascade 7.5% Partial 8 oz (half-ish)

I'm thinking of just doing a mini version of the hop bill... so challenger for bittering and goldings for flavor on the half-sized stout.

*** Are your AA% correct (in the original recipe) for the Challenger hops? It seems really low... and the Goldings seems high. I wondered if they were backwards.
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12 Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #74
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
SW Michigan
Liked 5403 Times on 5254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post

*** Are your AA% correct (in the original recipe) for the Challenger hops? It seems really low... and the Goldings seems high. I wondered if they were backwards.
You know, I very well could have punched in the AA numbers in the wrong order. You're right in that challenger would typically be around 7% and EKG should be 5-6%. I don't have any hops in the freezer from that far back to verify, but I would think you are correct.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #75
malweth
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I don't have access to your BeerSmith file anymore (no longer available where you originally posted it), but when I switched the AA% in mine the IBUs were much closer to what you originally put in the recipe.

In any case, I'm going to just use the listed amounts with the hops I have since it seems to be right in style...

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's brew. The partigyle should be exciting!
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12 Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 01-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #76
Bombeque
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Stafford, Virginia
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Brewing this one tomorrow!! Just got done grinding the grain. All I could do to stuff it into a 5 gal bucket. Anyone tried adding chocolate??

Tim

Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #77
HopLife
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Eugene, OR
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombeque View Post
Brewing this one tomorrow!! Just got done grinding the grain. All I could do to stuff it into a 5 gal bucket. Anyone tried adding chocolate??

Tim
Ha! I use a 5 gallon bucket for grain too. Sitting there in my local shop's grain room watching the specialty malts fill up the bucket and nearly overflow was pretty hilarious.

I would skip the chocolate. I just transfered from primary to secondary, and the hydrometer sample was really good. There are a lot of subtle flavors already, I think chocolate might hide some of those good flavors from the malt.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #78
Bombeque
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Stafford, Virginia
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife View Post
Ha! I use a 5 gallon bucket for grain too. Sitting there in my local shop's grain room watching the specialty malts fill up the bucket and nearly overflow was pretty hilarious.

I would skip the chocolate. I just transfered from primary to secondary, and the hydrometer sample was really good. There are a lot of subtle flavors already, I think chocolate might hide some of those good flavors from the malt.
Good call, Ill leave as is. I brewed yesterday, couldnt have asked for a better day. Everything went to plan. Preboil was 1.072 @7.5 gallons and OG was 1.100 @ 5 gallons. Ill keep yall posted!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #79
wdchandlersmith
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Would it be fair to switch the 17 pounds pale malt for about 10 pounds of light DME, and then steep the grains and carry on with the recipe in order to make this easier for someone who can't do all grain brews yet? Or am I totally off here?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #80
HopLife
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Eugene, OR
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdchandlersmith View Post
Would it be fair to switch the 17 pounds pale malt for about 10 pounds of light DME, and then steep the grains and carry on with the recipe in order to make this easier for someone who can't do all grain brews yet? Or am I totally off here?
Yeah, I think this would work out fine. Some might say to skip the car pils if using DME because it is designed to add head on its own. I would also recommend doing a full volume boil so that you can get decent hop utilization, and allow the dme to incorporate a little easier.